Problems with drivers in the past week

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavel94, Dec 23, 2011.

1. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    He's been posting stuff like this as long as I've been following this forum. I'd suspect it's legit. Probably more like someone that had a fat customer fall in his lap and grew his business faster than he could grow his own business skills.

Pavel: Dump him. This dude left you hanging. Period. Any value he has added in the past month was wiped out by the damage he has done to your reputation with your customer. Two times. Once with the late delivery and again with the dropped load this week.

The excuse really doesn't matter.

One thing I learned from a decade of managing large I/T operations, from smaller teams of highly skilled technical folks (prima donnas) to call centers staffed to 600+ (entry-level):

Someone who is an average, or even below-average worker who can read a clock, is always on time, and checks in when expected will, in the long run, easily outperform a superstar that is a flake and checks out from time to time.​

Good luck with your decision.

josh.c and rollin coal Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oneshot

oneshot Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    mississippi
    I did'nt mean any disrespect I just seen he had 13yrs in his profile and I was thinking this should'nt be his first driver scewup issue.

4. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    The dead relative story is very common for an excuse not to work. I heard it many times and the quote above is the absolute best way I have found to handle it. If he's telling the truth, you find out, send a card or flowers to the funeral, and your a great guy. If he's lying you find out as well and can call him a low down snake for claiming a relative died to get out of work.

I'd still have a talk with him about communication and possibly let him go even if the uncle really did pass but at least you'd know the truth.

5. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Wow, reed the whole thread.

Stuff happens in life. And I feel for the guy. But there is no excuss, NONE, for him not taking the time to reach you. PERIOD. What responsible person would think that this is OK. Key word is RESPONSIBLE. BS story or not. You do not want this guy working for you.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. bbblotliz

bbblotliz Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Unless he was in the hospital and couldn't not use a phone at all and no one else could call for him, he is done. This is a no brainer. I don't care if his wife died (I mean, I do and all... BUT....) it takes 15 seconds to call and leave a voice mail. Or he could hand his phone to someone else to call for him. This is so irresponsible it is off the charts. And I pretty much always believe that people have good intentions. But this is over the top.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  7. bbblotliz

Oct 7, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    You are missing the point. The point is not whether or not the story is true. Who cares if it is true. This is about personal responsibility. This is not a job where you can just up and disappear... :biggrin_25512:

josh.c, RedForeman, BigBadBill and 4 others Thank this.
  8. bbblotliz

Oct 7, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN

Personally, I don't understand why you would consider paying him at all. He didn't do his job. Look, I am a major ##### cat when it comes to taking care of my drivers -- ask Rollin Coal.... but this is crap. There is NO WAY that I would pay a driver under these circumstances. Sorry, but when a loved one dies -- your immediate thoughts as you process the emotions -- are "what do I need to take care of so that I can free myself up to deal with what is going on." My mother and sister died two years ago. In one case, I finished mowing the lawn, did laundry and shopped for groceries before going to the funeral. In the other case... it was similar. This was a LOAD for crying out loud. You make a call; you deal with it. That you would consider paying someone that is so clearly not capable of doing the job is staggering! :biggrin_25510:

Mommas_money_maker and BigBadBill Thank this.
  9. j3411

j3411 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Buckner, Il
    I agree it was more than likely a bunch of bull.

But... I know my # that's it. I don't even know the # of the house phone. Don't know the # for work either. I have it all programmed into my cell. If I loose it or it breaks it would be an interesting day. Was a day ( pay phones) when I knew all those #'s for sure. Now my mind is too busy trying to remember where I put my socks last night.

10. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Nice:biggrin_25523:

bbblotliz Thanks this.
  11. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    The responsible thing to do would be to call the boss, pavel94. And I'm sure he/she could tcall it etc so the guy could go attend to his uncle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.