Problems with drivers in the past week

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavel94, Dec 23, 2011.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    my phone is my phone book. if it don't work, then i'm screwed for ANYONE'S number. don't matter who it is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

So....You can't think of ANY way to contact someone if your phone dies?:biggrin_2559:

4. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Exactly.......In this day and age, if the OP of the thread gave me his company name and location I could come up with a phone number or at the very least an email address within 2 minutes......I just dont believe the whole "phone died" story.

5. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    I keep my old phone and charger to use as a phone book - just in case I lose my new one. Most of the important numbers are already in there, so all you have to do is add the new ones. It just takes a few minutes to add the new ones every week.

6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I have to feel for the guy if his story is true....but the fact that he could not call or make any attempt to get ahold of you is just plain BS. So his phone died, yet he managed to charge it up before coming back to work?? Every person has a cell phone now, and we all know they die, so unless you find his charger in the truck at your yard, I have to call BS.

As for the passing of his father, just be blunt and tell him that he needs to provide you with PROOF that his father passed (mainly the little cards they give out at the actual funeral with his name/info) and just tell him that if he can't provide this, then he no longer has a job. And don't take a "I didn't grab one" story because if ANYONE's fahter passed you'd be ###### if they would not grab one.

And rememebr that this weekend is New year's, so I wouldn't be suprised if he did it again, or didn't even show back up with your truck/trailer/load....especially if he is going anywhere near Las Vegas !!!!

7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I don't even know my fiance's number, but I have it written down in an phone directory that I keep in my truck along with my company, and others....just called having common sense :biggrin_25524:

8. Scott101

Scott101 Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    NorCal
    No excuse for "no contact". Worse case scenario... send a friend or family member down to the yard to pin a note to the office door.

When his phone was ringing at one point (before calls were going straight to VM), it was probably on the network within the previous several minutes. That means the phone was working well into his shift and up to and including when the load was due to be delivered.

-- Unless he is an absolute emotional pansy there is no way he couldn't have made a call. And if he does just fall apart emotionally like that, he is a huge liability to your operation. What's he going to do if ever involved in an accident with your truck? In an emergency like that he needs to be able to "step up" and handle the situation. He just proved he CAN'T!

As for paying him money he is owed from previous work... Better check State law. You may be obligated to send the check to his last known address. I would send it certified or something that shows who got it and when.

------------------------
    All you guys without a back-up copy, or limited access to backed up contact info should really get a gmail account. The info will always be accessible from any internet connected computer, and even better... Get an android phone and your gmail contacts are instantly updated and saved in the "cloud" as you enter them in your phone. Forever-more accessible from any computer, or replacement phone.

SMBdriver, rollin coal and SHC Thank this.
  9. SMBdriver

SMBdriver Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Or do what us old technologically challenged folks do... keep a notebook with all of the numbers you need written in it, and add new ones as you get them. :biggrin_25516:

Scott101 Thanks this.
  10. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    You have to be careful with this sort of thing when dealing with an employee. Granted, my experience is with being in front of a deep-pockets corp, but probably even more important to a small carrier on a shoestring budget. In the worst case you're asking for a wrongful termination suit, and at least opening the door to legitimizing an unemployment claim.

Fact is, no matter how tragic or legit the circumstance, the issue is failing to check in and report to work. When you start getting into someone's personal business, it's a slippery slope. This topic is more common with people that chronically call in sick. At some point is affects your business and you have to be the bad guy and take corrective action.

Big Don Thanks this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    MI is an "At Will " state .
    http://research.lawyers.com/Michigan/Employment-Law-in-Michigan.html

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.