Problems with my turn signals staying on

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Melvin1324, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Melvin1324

Melvin1324 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Hello all, I am new to this forum even though I always read threads that come up but I need help with a lighting problem I am having. I have a 1999 Freightliner century with a cummins n 14. I was riding on the highway and my turn signal warning indicator came on and stays on without my turn signal being on. I noticed that my front turn signal by the right headlight, my right marker light and my right brake light were all stuck in the on postion. They are not flashing, just lit up. The wierd thing is that they work just like they are suppose to until I turn my headlights on. No headlights, no problem but when I turn the headlights on the right side blinkers will not work but the left side will and my four way flashers will not work either with the lights on. I changed the flasher in the fuse panel and none of the bulbs are blown. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oilfieldtrash

oilfieldtrash Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Jones,Oklahoma
    Two wires touching somewhere in the trailer most likely. Unplug your trailer plug and recheck.

4. HORIZON2819

HORIZON2819 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Toronto,ON
    Take out the relay fuse out and put it back after few sec... It should be back to normal...

5. Melvin1324

Jan 24, 2014
    I took out the relay fuse like you said and now its working fine with and without the lights on but get this. Without the relay fuse in period. I put the relay fuse back in and it stops working. I even switched the fuses but nothing changed. It appears the relay fuse is good but not while it is in the spot like it is suppose to be. This has confused me even further even though it is working but something is not right here. Would you all agree.How does this turn signal work without that relay.

6. Melvin1324

Jan 24, 2014
    Its not on the trailer side cause the trailer is not hooked up

7. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Remove the bulbs. Use hand signals instead. Problem solved.

Seriously though look for some shorted wires.

8. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Start with what's simplest. You have some kind of a short somewhere, that's affecting your right side lights.

Disconnect your trailer plug from the tractor and try it. A bad plug can do that.

You must have some spare bulbs. Change them all, including the headlight. It sounds insane, but I had a motorcycle one time that wouldn't run because of a short. It ended up being the taillight bulb itself... I wouldnt believe it if I didn't experience it.

Another thing is to check all of the ground wires for your lights. Each light has to be grounded directly to the chassis. Run a separate ground if you have to. I have seen guys go just about crazy with trailer wiring, with lights coming on that are not supposed to, when it was a bad ground.

Check the wiring BEHIND the trailer plug. Wiring can short there. Also check the wiring to the headlight. Somewhere there it splits off into your markers (and turn signals). You can disconnect your lights one at a time and see if you still have the same problem.

My guess is a bad bulb or bad ground.

blairandgretchen and Melvin1324 Thank this.
  9. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I own a 2000 Century and have had strange headlight / turn signal problems in the past. The problem was where the cable harness folded over at the hood. Each time you open the hood the wires get a little abraided and you get both shorts and opens. That's where I would begin to look. The second place would be the turn signal actuator on the steering wheel column. Mine is at the point where I need to check that it's been moved fully into the correct position.

It's possible that it's a driver age related condition....(jk)

10. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I would check the tail light bulbs and next the front turn signal bulbs. The tail lights use the same bulb for tail and brake lights. The filament will sometimes break off and short across to the other fillament (tail light and signal/brake light), causing all kinds of weird light problems.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Your headlights run through your turn signal switch. There are little copper contacts in it and they can break and short across other contacts. That would be my guess.

You can unplug the switch and ohm it out. I think the right side is the Light Green wire and the Headlight Hot is either the Red or White wire.

The left side is the yellow wire. Your ohm check should be the same as the right side and show open.

There's like 3 different switches. If you can get the model number off it I can get the exact wiring diagram.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.