Proper method to tensioning chain binders?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by bp88, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Graborn

Graborn Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Smyrna, Tn
    The old timers will tell you it doesn't have to be so tight that it explodes off the chain when you release it. I hated the half links. You have to check your load a lot with binders of any sort.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Ratchet binders may take more time on initial setup, but you get pretty good at it. I'll usually have them fully open hanging off the side of the trailer before I'm even loaded, because I know exactly where they need to go. I'd challenge anyone here to get their snap binders done before I get my ratchet binders. I try to use them exclusively.

We have more than a few loads that need to be tightened regularly, what a PITA with snap binders! Tracks for dozers and such. Half links my arse, how about a couple turns with the ratchet binder?

ChevyCam Thanks this.
  4. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    I put my snap binders in a tote in the shop

Blind Driver Thanks this.
  5. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I use snap binders. Do not use pipe as a cheater bar. The dual purpose winch bar is superior, it will prevent you from getting bitten. I adjust them so that they are tight but not over tight. Basically one handed pressure on the bar to close them, I could probably close them buy hand if I jumped on them.

6. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have 6 ratchet binders that I never use, snap binders are faster and easier. Occasionally I will have something that is moving (loose product that can't be locked solid to the trailer) that is when I will use a ratchet, start with lots of threads out, every time I stop I just snug the ratchet. Other than that, I just snap binder them, I'm 170 pounds and never use a cheater bar.

7. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    like I said cluck, some have never had rachet binders, I am exclusively rachet binder all the way.

8. jrespress

jrespress Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Houston TX
    I concurr. I carry a few ratchet binders. But hardley ever use them. I like the feel and hear of a lever binder.

9. kardolmer

kardolmer Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Monticello MN
    My personal opinion I like snap binders. I have a about 4 ratchet binders, but i carry 12 snap binders. Everyone has their own prefrence, I think the snap binders are faster to use. But I don't haul alot of equipment, If i hauled more equipment I would go half and half on snap and ratchet binders.

10. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    What are these "snap binders" you speak of?

:sarcasm: relax, no need to freak out...

...ratchet binder only guy...

11. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Just another example of how there's more than a few ways to skin a cat. There's no right or wrong way.

starmac Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.