Proper Pre-Trip For Newbies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by American-Trucker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

because they can, they just want to see you memorize it, after you test you can use a list if you want....

American Trucker

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011
    In your opinion, which GPS with PC Miler is best and most user friendly?
    (Oh and don't tell anyone, I am a yuppie too) :biggrin_25519:

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Hands down the best Truck GPS you can Get is the Rand McNally. It'll do everything but drive the truck for you.

American Trucker

transportHER Thanks this.
  5. calitruckr

calitruckr Navistar Spammer

Jul 1, 2011
    cali
    I'm new driver good to know about these things.

6. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
    It took me two tries before I got my cdl the first time. The construction I worked for at the time was really pushing me to get them in a hurry. They got this old hand to take me around the rig just pointing stuff out telling me what to say. I get to the DMV and I'm showing the inspector my way around the engine compartment. I finish and begin moving down the driver side and he says "Hang on where's your air compressor?" I said "I left it at the shop I didn't think I needed it" (I thought he was talking about a pull behind compressor for running jack hammers and stuff). He just shook his head and said "go home son come back and try again"

A month later there I am I got this. I knew that pre-trip like the back of my hand ya'll. Turns out I get the same inspector as before. I get the pre-trip down with no problem he commented on my thoroughness. "Good job son! Now let's get in and go for a ride" I'm nervous now. It's a small town narrow streets tight turns the whole nine. But I'm making it. Doing good even. He says "turn left here get on the interstate and we'll head on back." Yes! I got this! We get on the interstate, I open her up didn't grind the gears or nothing. He starts a conversation we end up shooting the breeze like good friends. Then he looks over and says "Tell me the height limit on that overpass we just went under". I said "What overpass?" He just shook his head and said "go home son. come back and try again. Third time was the charm though.

7. tnf150driver

tnf150driver Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Nashville TN
    I looked at some vids of pre trip and can say alot of what i seen reminds me of my military days. When ever yoiu had to get a disbatch for a vehicle in the military you did a PMCS which is pretty much the same as the pre trip with a few diffences.

8. ave

ave Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Its not rocket science. Check oil,coolant,pwr stering fluid, Tires ,lights,and plenty of beer in the cooler! ha ha just kidding on the last one.

9. harrybottom

harrybottom Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Fitzgerald, Ga
  10. venne

venne Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Troy Maine
    I do not have to worry about that I don't smoke :biggrin_25524:

11. newly crusin

newly crusin Medium Load Member

I'm OK with all this...you forgot to mention that if the 4 ways work , your good to go!

oh, and if the A/C works too...

crusin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.