Proper Way to Drain Power Steering Fluid?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Dec 15, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I watched a few videos on this for the Freightliner Cascadia, but I’m confused as to why the Freightliner maintenance manual doesn’t say to unscrew the drain plug under the steering box. Their procedure for draining the fluid is different. Part of their draining procedure is to remove the reservoir and dump the oil. Is either method correct? Freightliner maintenance manual below. The video shows a different method.

Okay, I just realized the video doesn’t unscrew the bolt under the steering box. I think that was on a different video.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    when you unscrew steering box not all fluid will come out.

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  4. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Ur going to have some left in the pump and high pressure line and low pressure going to pump, that bolt only gets rid of the oil in the gearbox, when u pull out a line a lot more oil is going to come out

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I ended up following the Freightliner maintenance manual. The rest of the oil is pushed out by turning on the engine and turning full left and right. I made a mess, but next time I’ll cover the hose completely and guide it to the drain container.

mhyn and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.