Prostar and maxxforce engine

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ew2108, Jun 6, 2011.

1. TA1199

TA1199 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Staten Island, NY
    Anyone have any experience with the smaller Maxforce DT? I'm buying a 2012 with a 150,000 miles from Penske. There isn't too much info on the MFDT. This truck also has the Eaton 6 speed automatic. Any info on that setup would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    EGR coolers are 100% failure, if it hasn't has one done then, expect it. Injector coils like to short out after a couple of years, so once you start getting cold misses with check engine lights for injector coil codes, I recommend to replace all 6 and be done with it. Turbos like to coke up and lose performance and plug up the air the air, so expect turbo cleaning procedure and possibly replacing the air to air. It also has regular after treatment DOC and DPF maintenance to worry about too.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. TA1199

TA1199 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Staten Island, NY
    The Penske maintenance report shows they replaced the 3 & 5 injectors at separate intervals. It also shows DPF filter cleaned or replaced at 75,000 and 135,000 miles. This will be my first truck with EGR what is regular and after treatment? I saw a video that the recommended cleaning procedure for the PDF filter is power washing it with just water. What can I do personally to keep up with the preventive maintenance on the truck? How often are oil changes recommended? I change my oil every 6 months or 7500 miles on a CAT 3126b. Whichever comes first. I run local and about 18,000 miles a year, so I usually do 3 a year. Is that the same schedule I should keep on a Maxforce DT?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Eaton 6spd automatic? This is going to be my first big truck with an automatic too. What's the maintenance like on one of those?

Rumor has it drivers are bypassing the EGR altogether on these Navistar motors. Any truth to that?

What are your thoughts on running fuel injector cleaner with each fill up. Similar to what I am doing with my current truck.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Your truck will be low duty cycle, so after treatment cleaning will be every 3 years or even longer. Navistar doesn't recommend washing with power washer, only proper DPF/DOC machines. Oil changes should go by hours if you are in low mileage situation. Navistar is very generous with their oil change intervals. They have a matrix to follow depending on horsepower and average fuel economy to determine the actual intervals, but they average about 650 hours. Once the oil starts to break down at the end of its life is when it starts to coke up the turbos even worse, so recommend 400-500 hours or even less if you are conformable with that.
    No experience with that transmission.
    It's a no-no to talk about emissions deleting on this site.
    Any fuel cleaner is just snake oil and wasting money. Get your fuel from a reputable location, change filters.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  6. TA1199

TA1199 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Staten Island, NY
    The engine is tuned for 230 HP.
    How many fuel and oil filters do those motors have?

7. Trucker Ben

Trucker Ben Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Question for Heavy D Could you check out a serial number for me. It's a 2012 prostar and last 6 of vin is 541671. My boss bought some of these and I am wanting to know some history on the one I am to drive. Some have the diamond renewed badge on them but this one doesn't. Any advice is greatly appreciated

8. TA1199

TA1199 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Staten Island, NY
    1HTMMAAL4CH625045
    May as well check mine too. Thanks in advance.

9. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I notice a difference right away when adding Howes antigell,I guess the fuel could be starting to gell,but I can surely tell the difference with treated fuel.

TA1199 Thanks this.
  10. TA1199

TA1199 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Staten Island, NY
    I use HOWES year round.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  11. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Kinda pricey at $20 per bottle,I usually use the whole container on a fill up,and the next fill up,I fuel at 1/2.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.