Prostar front cab water leak?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by My11Inter, Feb 18, 2017.

1. My11Inter

My11Inter Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    My 2011 prostar has major water leaks through the corners of the windshield and cb radio area. I have put silicone all over the windshield and the tower, and it still leaks a lot when it rains. It's dripping on the dash, and also the fuse panel. Any solution to this issue?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Power wash, wait for it to dry, then silicone every nook and cranny along the roofline including around the clearance lights. Do this while on hometime, so the silicone has at least 24hrs to cure.
    If you attempt to drive it before it can fully cure, it will never actually seal correctly and will still leak. If there is any moisture present, it won't cure correctly either.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Most of those leaks actually come from the seam between roof section and sides of the cab body. Our body shop usually pulls out the interior roof panel and then soaks the truck with garden hose. You would be shocked to see how water will run along a panel upside down and trickle out by the CB even though it is actually getting in from the side or rear of the truck.

My11Inter Thanks this.
  5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    International designs their trucks that way to insure that the inside gets cleaned too.

Kenworth 4life, KillingTime and Heavyd Thank this.
  6. My11Inter

My11Inter Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    So, what would be best to do to repair that leak? Thanks!

7. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    '16 Freightliner used to catch all kinds of water as well.

Turn a corner in high rev-6th and about a cup would run out of the seam by the visor. Piss all over my lap.

Got used to saying 'I'm incontinent' - I'm sure folks heard 'incompetent'... Which might have been an upgrade in status.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The body shop would redo the epoxy and silicone.

9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    My 2011 Prostar was leaking from the windshield visor mounts. It leaked so much into the cb hole one night that when I turned out of my parking space water poured out onto the stereo and enough got through the cd slot to ruin the stereo.

After having the roof fairing resealed as Heavyd described and the windshield pulled and re-installed to the tune of 8 days down it took 20 minutes with a $3 tube of silicone caulk from Home Depot.

Now if only resealing the sleeper side windows were that easy...

Frank

10. My11Inter

My11Inter Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    Any body shop will do this?

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That is why it is so important to remove the interior roofing panels and actually find where the leak is coming from. Visors do leak, that would be a cheapy one, but not every repair takes 10 mins and $5 like everyone seems to think.
    As far as service locations, I would never take my Honda to a Toyota dealer or Joe's fix-it. Only Honda knows my car best, therefore I always recommend an International dealer for your International trucks. If you prefer to avoid "stealerships" then I would make sure Joe's fix-it knows what they are doing!!!

2013Maxx, My11Inter and tony97905 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.