~ Prostar OR Cascadia ~

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by koolest15, Mar 14, 2011.

1. koolest15

koolest15 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I would like to own a trucking company in the future with 6-10 trucks. I am looking at running the company in Winnipeg, and operating in all of Canada and parts of the USA.

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of each truck, including the EGR vs SCR.

*These trucks would just be stock and be perfect for a fleet application.
    The Prostar would have the Maxxforce engine with EGR, and the Cascadia would have the DD15 with Blue tech SCR.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Inland-Pilot

Inland-Pilot Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Jackson, Ms
    none of the above IMO... Cummins engine all the way.

4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    the 2010 cascadia im driving is already having egr/emissions problems with only 135,000 on it. You should get 2003 or older pre emission trucks.

5. koolest15

koolest15 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Rachi the only problem with a 2003 is that the mileage in those older trucks would be really high, meaning repairs are going to need to be done soon also.

I am looking at finding a reliable newer truck which will provide me and my clients years of -major- free problems.

Also the government is making all these new rules and regulations, so if I get a newer truck that has EGR/SCR then I am in compliance.

6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

You do better with an odd amount of trucks 7 - 9 for some reason than with an even # of trucks like 6 - 10.

7. koolest15

koolest15 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Flatbed why would you do better with odd number of trucks??

(Maybe 1 for back up or something?)

8. Wildcat74

Wildcat74 Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Maxxforce sucks. Stick with Cummins. All you've got to do is look at a picture of each engine to see which one is going to be more problematic. International has hung soooo much junk on their engines compared to Cat Cummins or Detroit that it's almost unbelievable.

9. koolest15

koolest15 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Cummins might be alright but I hear they are really loud... So for driver comfort this may not be good.

10. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    if i were buying new, cummins all the way. maxxforce has too much junk hung on them and having problems alrady, detroits arent alot better and are having problems, major problems. all engines are going to have issues, but so far cummins has the least amount of major isuues right now, and is more dependable than anything else on the road right now in my book. the cummins isnt any louder than any other engine on the road, just my .02 as a current mechanic/former driver

11. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Just because its a newer truck doesn't mean you'll have years free of major repair. There are plenty of these trucks on the road that have had huge issues with downtime and warranty not paying it's part. Plus these two models have the motors and everything else shoe-horned into them...this means higher labor rates for repairs. I've had a couple shops ask me up front what model of truck I had before they qouted me a appointment time. When I questioned this the mechanics said they try to shy away from the newer aero trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.