Protection inside the truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by blackysc, Jun 11, 2013.

1. blackysc

blackysc Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I am about to retire from the military and was wondering what protection do drivers carry with them that is portable and legal. I was inquiring about pepper spray, OC foam or even a taser? Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. I will not go anywhere without protection. Good day all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You can be armed if you want to go through all the permit processes. With that you have to make extra sure that your carrier knows and allows it (most will not) and where you'll be travelling you have to make sure you're legal there too. I've been to some really bad places to drop gasoline late at night and I feel safe with the tire knocker. That's part of the safety equipment with the truck and you can show any LEO how it's used to check tires. I feel it's your right to carry a firearm I just feel it's not right that you have to though so many hassles to make it legal. Then if you need it you'll be taken into custody until the police have it all figured out if it's a clean shoot. If they find something that isn't right you could be in a lot of trouble.

4. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    A teaser is a weapon they are laws and rules. Mace is not a bad thing to carry but inside truck when its off can get really hot so make sure it don't blow up lol. I keep a hammer next to my seat n a knife by bed.

5. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    My tire thumper is all I need. I don't worry about people messing with me when I'm in my truck tire thumper hurts like hell and will disorient somebody. And if nothing else I have the most powerful weapon around something that 13ft tall 8ft 6" wide and weighs 80,000lbs.

Jakaby and Cranky Yankee Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    A cheater bar would be great protection.It's this heavy steel bar drivers use in flatbedding to tighten binders.Any major truckstop sells them.

7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    I started unloading fish in Brooklyn ny at 2 am late 70's
    never have needed anything
    the sky is not falling chicken little

8. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Just be aware of your surroundings and use your common sense. Any tire thumper will do or a ASP leverlock Baton is a great toy!. I always have a knife in my possession and/or Mace. Ironically most of the assaults I hear about are in truckstops. Drivers get out and start doing their post/pre trips or are walking between trucks to to the truckstop or just coming back from it and get tagged when they aren't paying attention or a Girl will distract them and they get hit from behind. But to be honest, I haven't really heard of too many problems.

9. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    a small fold up knife that clip on pants pocket and a tire thumper is all you really need. gun would be perfect, but not worth the hassle to carry.

10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Say no more ...Bren gun.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  11. sharp.dressed.man

sharp.dressed.man Heavy Load Member

Dec 10, 2011
    IL
    I thought this thread was going to be about lot lizard etiquette.

Jakaby, xanomie, DrFlush and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.