Protesters....

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Road*Runner, Feb 17, 2020.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Those morons were blocking highways and railways up here last week. Protesting pipelines. I'm getting sick of their bull ####.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Squish like a big

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It’s illegal to block out public roads—and so is running or attempting to run someone over. It’s not hard to understand this, but maybe if you’re doing drugs, it might be.

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

I didn't say it was legal, I just said it was better.
    I don't advocate violence but where I live we've been dealing with anti-logging protesters for decades. We have ways of doing things that get our point across and you won't be watching them on the NEWS AT 11.
    One thing we've learned is not to make ourselves part of the story. The majority of the protesters would like nothing better than to catch a driver doing something illegal and dangerous. They want that. They thrive on that.
    We had a bunch of tree huggers chain themselves to the big iron gate that goes across our private haul road. We asked them politely to unlock themselves and allow us to access our property. They refused.
    We simply opened the gates with the protesters still chained to them. That scuffed them up a little but not too bad.
    We sent the first wave of trucks and loggers through the gate. Then we closed the gate, still dragging the tree huggers across the road.
    Dragging them back and forth across the asphalt shredded their clothes so when we opened the gates a second time and then closed them again they begin to develop a pretty good case of road rash.
    They lost their taste for protest after that. They unchained themselves from our gate, limped over to their VW bus, and left.
    We didn't have any problem with protesters after that.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I would have done the same thing... Yeah it is dangerous and I could very well kill someone. But I'm not going to stop for protestors blocking my path... One never know what their intentions are. I'm not going to give them the opportunity to climb on my truck and potentially do bodily harm to me. All it takes is one to be a little more off kilter than the average protestor and have a gun in his pocket. What you going to do when he's standing on your running boards and your on the business end of a 9mm???

7. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I doubt seriously if your average vegan/animal lover/ stuck-in-the -sixties wannabe hippy champion for social justice will be packing a gun.
    They don't like guns, remember?
    He's more apt to wail away on you with an organically grown zucchinni and I don't think Attack with Vegetable qualifies as a situation requiring deadly force to defend.

x1Heavy and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That's assault, chasing them off the road is less illegal than that.

9. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Maybe. Maybe not. We never saw a cop afterward and nobody ever called about it.
    Nobody got killed and it never made the papers or the tv news.
    There were four young people from out of the area who were treated at the local emergency room for road rash but they refused to give any information.

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You guys got lucky and allowed your emotions to cloud your judgement. I would have just called the cops. Let them deal with them. They’re better trained to deal with these situations, and plus you don’t end up in jail or in court.

11. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    In foreign countries they have pepper spray rigged to a switch to protect against car jackers and thieves.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.