Provinces outlawing gliders?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Elroythekid, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I called Peel financial today to see about financing a used glider and they won't touch it. He says certain provinces have outlawed them and will "ground" the truck? Has anybody heard of any nonsense like this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Although vehicle registration is under the purvue of the provinces, vehicles have to comply with federal regulations in order to be registerable. Gliders have to meet fairly narrow rules in order to be registerable. Here is a summary (I researched this thoroughly a few years ago and these were the facts as I remember them. I don't think there have been any legislative changes since). More information. I expect all provinces are the same.

4. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    These are used gliders and already have been licensed in Ontario so I really think the guy is nuts. I have almost enough cash to buy it outright so I'm going to investigate it further in Nova Scotia to make sure I'm not missing anything and if all good I'm just gonna buy it. I think the guys crazy, but I'll still dot the i's and cross the T's to make sure. Thanks!

5. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    The guy won't finance it because in the eyes of a finance company a glider is a kit not a truck. Value of gliders are hard to define. To some they are worth less to others they are worth more.

MartinFromBC and Elroythekid Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Their concern might be based on the possibility of a glider being reassessed as to its legality. If there are a number of them that have been incorrectly registered (as mentioned in the article I linked in my first post), then their concern could be that they may potentially have an asset with no value. Even though the reality of such an event coming to pass is very low, most financial institutions are going to err on the side of safety rather than risk... especially for such a small market. You might be better off contacting a dealer that advertises gliders and ask who has been financing them.

7. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    That wasn't his reasoning. He said "they are banned in certain provinces and those provinces will ground the truck" I told him he was wrong but he wouldn't listen. I have almost enough cash and a line of credit that will easily do it but my accountant says let the company borrow the money and keep your cash for a rainy day. I'm going home tomorrow so we can revisit that theory and I want to really check out if this guy's theory has any truth to it?

8. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    My friends boss has a whole fleet in bc and builds them. They have to be insured as the year the motor is. The guy could be blowing smoke up your ### in a polite way of not saying they don't want to touch them for other reasons.

9. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    No, he wasn't polite.....

10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    My company just bought a brand new 389 glider and are putting a big 15 litre CAT in it (it hasn't arrived yet and will be a box of parts). No word about anything of the sort. Sounds like they are yanking your chain.

x1Heavy, MartinFromBC and Elroythekid Thank this.
  11. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Peel Financing financed my glider a couple months ago. who did you talk too?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.