PTO switch for 2011 388 peterbilt

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Reggie trucker, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Reggie trucker

Reggie trucker Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2018
    i installed a hot shift pto recently. I got a PTO air rocker switch from Peterbilt. Works good. I’m looking for the pto pigtail to plug into the switch. I’m wondering if it’s pre wired. I want, when pto engaged, that it shows on the info screen. It works good but it doesn’t show that the pto is engaged.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    The green pto emblem on the screen is prewired but needs to be programmed. The tell tale wires will be grey and located in the rh dash panel lh side tied all together. Labeled telltale 1-9 or so. Use a telltale wire that is not already hooked up.
    Supply a ground to the wire and then ESA needs to be hooked up and enable the pto light to the telltale wire that just got hooked up.

As for the plug that goes into the back of the PTO switch it is a 4 pin connector p/n P20-1064.
    It needs 4 terminals p/n 12047767.
    Pin A, C, D are common and can be ran off the other air switches.
    Pin A is Ground WHT1500
    Pin C is Power ORN3600
    Pin D is Backlighting BRN 2622

Pin B should be the switched ground you want to run to a telltale wire.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    blade, Oxbow, Goodysnap and 3 others Thank this.
  4. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    That is some great information, thank you!

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    The info pushbroom posted is correct and that's the easiest. However, I prefer to run the ground wire for the PTO indicator to the switch on the PTO itself using a normally open PTO indicator switch. Using the switched ground on the PTO switch only tells you that the switch is on/off, not if the PTO is actually engaged or not. I like the mechanical switch that shows whether or not the PTO is physically in or out. In a rare case that the PTO hangs up and wont disengage, the light will stay on. Also, those switches are known to fail allowing air to bypass in the off position. If that happens, the PTO light will come on when it tries to engage, giving you a big clue as to what that grinding noise is.

6. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Running it off the actual switch on the pto is a good practice for all the reasons stated above.
    We ran into problems doing it like that on the oilpatch trucks as they always tore the wire off when they were getting towed into the patch.
    Depending on the application either way will work good.
    The new 579s are nice as the diff lock indicator is actually ran off the switch in the diff not just the dash. But yet again on our northern trucks rocks always seem to find its a perfect target.

Oxbow, spsauerland and GrapeApe Thank this.
  7. RET423

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    I have a question about this, I had my PTO hooked to the unused 5th wheel air toggle; whenever I engaged the PTO I got the 5th wheel warning icon on the dash and treated to a dinging bell until I disengaged it.

Using the info from Pushbroom I connected the "B" wire from the air toggle to the "Telltale 1" plug.

I connected ESA and found the editable telltales, I changed number 1 to "PTO" and hit "program" .

When I go to the "Monitor" tab in ESA and select my now PTO labeled telltale the dimmed pto icon appears in the ESA software; it also lights up when I engage the PTO so it seems to be working correctly.

The problem is that it doesn't display on my dash, there is no more alarm or 5th wheel icon but no new symbol appears when I engage the PTO; I tried assigning several other symbols to telltale 1 but the result is the same, everything looks great in the ESA software but no indication on the dash.

Did I miss a step?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Try flashing the cecu up to the latest version. You also could try using a different telltale wire.
    If you simulate the PTO light does it come on?

9. RET423

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    I did try a couple other telltale wires and they did the same thing, worked great on the ESA monitor screen but nothing on the dash.

I did reflash the cecu but I got a warning when I tried to use the newest flash I had, it said this flash is not compatible with a pre 2013 emissions motor". So I flashed the latest 2012 I could find hoping it would clear things up but still nothing on the display. I also tried the simulate screen but the only icon was on the laptop screen, nothing on the dash.

Do you think it would mess anything up if I tried the post 2013 flash?

10. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Whats the current flash number?
    And last six of the truck s/n?

11. RET423

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    122058 are the last six digits of the VIN, I don't have the right laptop here to get the flash number though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.