Pulling 48 foot flatbed with short wheel base truck.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Patilan, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Patilan

Patilan Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    I am on the market for a truck to pull 48 foot flatbed.
    I want small sleeper to cool down easier in the summer and shorter wheelbase to bring down the overall weight and be easier to maneuver.
    Went to arrow truck sales yesterday and the salesman first told me that I need something longer than 200", because the landing gear of flatbed trailers is closer to the kingpin and will possibly touch/tear the mudflaps on the back of the truck.
    Later when we fund a truck that I liked which was 191" wheelbase, he changed his tune and said that I will be fine, just by eyeballing the back of the truck on a picture ( the truck was not even in this particular dealership location)
    So my question to the more experienced guys here is what is the shortest wheelbase that I have to look for that will be suitable for pulling a flatbed?
    Should I measure the truck from the kingpin hole on the fifth wheel to the back and a trailer from the landing gear to the king pin and match the 2 numbers or there is easier way to find out?
    Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    265" Gives a good ride because any Eisenhower Interstate design has 240" joints in the concrete and your truck never recovers from the down and its going up. Ran 190" Cabovers that would throw anything off the dash on some roads. I 10-I 20 across LA MS come to mind. IF you are going to do thsi, 1st your back should be of the greatest concern and air conditioners will cool sleepers big or small. I ran one of the biggest Dallas to LA and smallest OKC to LA.

OneCosmicGuy and Patilan Thank this.
  4. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    A longer wheelbase allows for larger fuel tanks, an APU, and some side boxes, if not now maybe later.Sorta room to grow. :smt023

bergy, OneCosmicGuy and Patilan Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Patilan, not sure Mr.(or Ms.) salesperson knows what they're talking about (maybe I don't). 1st, I don't think flatbeds have that landing gear closer to the pin. I know RR containers do, and you will indeed tear off mudflaps, however, I don't think a longer wheelbase truck will matter in that regard, as the increased length of the frame is in front of the 5th wheel and a longer wheelbase won't give you any more length from the pin to the back of the truck. I could be wrong. Besides, it's been my experience, flatbeds generally don't go where vans, reefers, or tanks go, so a short wheelbase truck isn't really needed. Also, short wheelbase trucks will rattle your teeth out.

BigJls1 and Patilan Thank this.
  6. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Stability is another thing to think about. I have a lot of experience with 1 ton trucks, not so much with big stuff... yet, but I'm getting there.. Anyway.. In a 1 ton (And I have to assume in a larger truck as well) a longer truck wheelbase makes for a much more stable and controllable rig when hauling a big and or heavy trailer.

I always felt this was the case and it got proved to me one day. I was driving for a company that had 2 1 ton trucks. Same year, engine, trans, rear end ratios, same brand of tires in roughly the same condition, everything the same except.. 1 was a crew cab with an 11' flatbed, the other was a standard cab, short bed cab/chassis with the same type but shorter flat bed. Both using a gooseneck hitch mounted slightly in front of the axle.

One day I was in the long truck and loaded a 40' flatbed pretty heavy. On the way to the yard I had a car pull out in front of me and due to traffic stopped directly in front of me. Full emergency stop. It took all the brakes the truck/trailer had to stop. The truck remained straight and felt stable. My only concern was if it would stop going forward before or after we had bumper to driver door contact or not. (It did stop, but barely) It was time for maintenance on the long truck. This is why I was stopping by the yard, to swap out trucks.The short one had just been serviced and was ready to go.

When leaving the shop on the same road at almost the same point it again became necessary to use 100% maximum brakes to avoid something, this time it was a kid on a skateboard who lost control and fell directly into my path. The speed both times was probably withing a few MPH. Both times the road was clean and dry. Same trailer with the exact same load. In the much shorter wheelbase truck it immediately became a full time job to keep the truck straight and in front of the trailer. With the short wheelbase the trailer really tried to (And did) push the truck around and loosing control was very possible and only averted by skill and luck. Probably 50/50% of each.

From reading this one might think that the driver needs to be paying more attention to prevent this sort of thing. For me to have to execute a 100% maximum brake effort is very rare and it is seldom necessary. But we all know when driving, things happen. It just happened twice that day instead of the normal once every few months or so. The point of this post was the direct comparison of almost identical trucks with the same trailer/load in an emergency stop situation.

Ever since that day I have leaned heavily toward longer wheelbase trucks rather than shorter. I'll deal with the issues in a parking lot or intersection any day over the issues of jacking a truck around in an emergency stop.

I can only assume a big truck responds roughly the same way, possibly even to a larger extent. After all, physics is physics and it seems to me it is all pretty much the same thing only with all dimensions and weights scaled up.

Hope this helps...

Patilan and OneCosmicGuy Thank this.
  7. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    Salesmen way say anything. They are almost as bad as a truck driver.

I would not buy a truck without hooking it to a trailer like I will be pulling. Try it for yourself, don't guess.

bergy and Patilan Thank this.
  8. Patilan

Patilan Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks for all responses. I will look for 217 WB or higher.
    It looks like there are million used trucks for sale out there, but the ones that meet my requirements are at least 300 miles away.

9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Can we say road trip for trk. shopping.
    Don't rush into it. Big move for you. Good luck

tsavory, MJ1657 and Patilan Thank this.
  10. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    For maximum weight capacity make sure you have 20 feet from center of front axle to center of rear axle for tractor bridge

mrrandomson and Patilan Thank this.
  11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.