Pumpkins and APU

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Swaps, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Swaps

Swaps Heavy Load Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Minnesota
    Does Schneider have APUs on their trucks?

Since they're based in northern Wisconsin one would assume that they do, or at least a heater.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

4. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    El Cheapo Orange?

Hardly! They wouldn't put seats in them if they thought they could get away with it!

ironhand Thanks this.
  5. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

No, we don't have APU's on the normal company trucks. The guys that do the IC thing thru SNI usually do tho. But, yes, almost all of the SNI trucks do have a bunkheater. It's a clunky/crappy Wesbasto. I've had the Espar in another companies truck, and it seemed a much higher quality and had better dependability than the Webasto, but SNI will replace the Webasto for you when it quits without any heartache.:yes2557:

6. GypsyWillowDusk72

GypsyWillowDusk72 Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    everywhere
    I thought Roehl was cheap but I think Schneider nudges into first place with that.

7. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Yeah, it may be on the cheap side a bit. I've all but given up on my quarterly bone-us. Some of the trucks I get have such weak batteries I have to idle just to be able to use my 12 volt coffee maker. Won't even think of leaving in the AM without my shot of caffiene. An APU would sure take care of that issue with the batts.:biggrin_255:

8. glyman83

glyman83 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2009
    upstate, sc
    They have around 15,000 trucks or so(when i worked for them) Now figure $7,000 for each APU, thats a lot of money, but it would pay for itself in a year or two. I saw a couple of team petes that had a APU(SNI loves there test trucks) but i dont know anymore about them.

9. GypsyWillowDusk72

GypsyWillowDusk72 Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    everywhere
    In my opinion and I know everyone has one, all trucking companies should be required to have APU's. With many if not all states limiting the time trucks can idle or ban idling all together (not to mention companies base bonuses on idle time) a driver's comfort is compromised in order to meet these regulations. I don't know about anyone else but I can not sleep in a stuffy and hot cab. Fans help a little but all that's doing is blowing hot air around.

frankreno, Master Jack and johnday Thank this.
  10. Swaps

Swaps Heavy Load Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Minnesota
    i agree completely!

11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Alot of carriers dont put apu's on there trucks due to the maintence on them and when the trucks are turned in, they gotta take em' off and put them on the new trucks. Its a never ending cycle Alot of extra work for them. There just putting it off but will eventually come around. The company I drive for has apu's and inverters on all of there 2,500 trucks. Im sitting in arizona right now and its 97 degrees outside, and it sure is nice having one. Nice and cool in here. It cost the company about $17,000,000 to purchase 2,500 apu's. Im kind of curious, when these apu's wear out are they gonna rebuild them, or are they gonna spend another $17,000,000 for new ones. Time will tell.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.