purchasing a cb

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by orferd, Feb 20, 2012.

1. orferd

orferd Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2012
    California
    I see them at truck stops, but i assume they are probably overpriced. So where is a good place to buy a new cb? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    They are similarly priced throughout the different truck stop chains. Sometimes there are sales, but other than truck stops and cb shops not usually sold in a lot of other retail stores.
    I bought my first one at a truck stop. Just bought a cheap one i could afford, figuring I could buy a better one later on. I'm still using it, although I haven't found it necesary to have a big powerful radio like some drivers have. Mine will let me communicate with shippers/recievers and play around on the road.
    Sometimes you can find them on e-bay and craigs list, but you really never know what you're getting into.
    Just get what you can afford. If you don't have one right away, you can live without one, however a cb can be helpful on the road for traffic delays and such.
    You can usually buy a cheap one for somewhere between $75-100

4. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Local Wally World has some here. New isn't always better. Pawn shops should carry a few. If you will be out with a trainer who has one flip it on when parked for the night. If there's not someone selling one ask I'm sure you will be able to get a response. But love's do seem to have more sales and better price's when looking for new.

5. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I bought a $40 midland. It works perfect for what I use it for. Pretty much what bowlwinkle said

6. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
  7. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Do company trucks come with CB radios Installed?

8. AXE

AXE Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Some do, some don't.

9. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    No unless the last driver forgot to remove his..

10. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    :biggrin_2556: myself i would start with paper and pen, start your reserch, as i travel across this great land of ours, i stop at all major truckstop's , i really see no differince in price, a cobra 29 right out the box $129 here , will talk too the shipper's and rec just fine, sometimes being lazy, i bought a handheld and took that with me into there lunchroom , grab a bit too eat and listen for my load, i noticed or mayby just me , but the same cobra hasnt gone up or down in price in last 12 years, now if you want a big radio , why i dont know, they can get right up there in price, or you could do as my freind did, buy a swap meet radio 5 bucks, gut it out and hid a big radio in it, i myself would care less about that roger beep or other worthless crap too get your money, get a good cb and peek and tune it too your truck, i want one with the weather on it , that help a whole lot more , then some driver yanking ,then beep beep , thats is so annoying, also save up fuel points as fuel , if you can , then after a year or so, you can trade in for a free cb radio, :biggrin_25524:

11. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    but this how i do it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.