Purchasing used Freightliner need opinions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by skim, Jul 2, 2014.

1. skim

skim Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the input.... will def explore that option and get pricing!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Only thing I am wondering is why does the 2008 have such low miles? In the shop a lot? Or older driver whose business model is only 60k miles a year? If it is the latter, he probably wasn't ever in a hurry to get anywhere, I'd buy that one over the 750,000 mile one. I would be very careful with any of those early epa dpf only trucks ...

4. skim

skim Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The truck was not used for OTR long haul. It was used locally here in LA for drayage (port) purposes.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Wonder how often that dpf didn't get a chance to do the regen while driving if it was local only and how much it idled ... I would be wary of buying anything that has a dpf only on it ... been there, done that ... that truck almost bankrupted me ... was a cat though ... the trucks that also take the def seem to do better ...

6. skim

skim Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The def trucks are 2011 and above. Anything in my price range all have over 600,000 + miles. Cant win any way!

7. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont

When you are buying a used truck, and nowadays I think new too, you only know if you won after you take the gamble. You'll have to roll the dice to play!

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  8. skim

skim Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hahahaha very well put sir!

9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Pull an oil sample have it CK. there are alot of trucks without buyers out there, run out on dino and oil sample plus a insp. at shop away from where you are buying it at are good 1st CK. then start the offers at 1/3 less than asking price!

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  10. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Either one . Change the oil to synthetic if not already syn. New oil. Trans and both rears.
    Think about Ca changing the CARB BS to not being good to 2020. Ca is known for changing in mid stream no reason no notice to speak of.
    Why are you wanting to buy a truck ? Why not being a company driver and keeping the benefits and the money?. O/O you pay for every thing. EVERYTHING .

First.
    Get VIN and ask Freightliner dealer for any service bulletins on that VIN. NO charge. Just a few key click on the computer.
    That will give you a heads up on problems Freightliner is aware of on that truck or that model but not a recall. I did that after much money spent on A/C. Service bulletin told the issues and the fixes. I did it and no more problems .

11. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I'd be leery of a port truck myself. I'm in and out of ports quite often and they take some serious abuse. If both of them check out the same, I'd probably go with the newer higher mileage truck with fresh rebuild and new junk, I mean Chinese, tires. Of course, I'm driving a 1.35 million mile Western Star, so mileage doesn't bother me much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.