Put OOS after level 1 inspection!

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by walstib, Jan 6, 2011.

1. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I go thru a scale in Forest Hills, CA and since I went thru too fast the last time I made sure I went slower this time to avoid a hassle, well that didn't work this time as they wanted you to stop on the scale, although no signage saying that...As soon as I roll thru I hear on the loudspeaker, WATKINS SHEPARD, BACK UP!, I back up so I'm on the scale and hear, WATKINS SHEPARD BACK UP!, now I'm a little confused so I start backing up expecting him to say stop and hear, WATKINS SHEPARD, PULL FORWARD! so I pull forward and hear, WATKINS SHEPARD, BACK UP!...I can't see thru the 2 way glass so I roll down my window, look into their window and say while gesturing, "where do you want me?" and hear, NOW I WANT YOU AROUND BACK!...As I pull around the building I see a door open up on the inspection bays and a green light come thinking that's for me and pull in...The guy inside starts his thang and now the guy from the office is in there screaming, 'I DIDN'T WANT YOU IN HERE, I WANTED YOU IN THE A OR B LINE, SINCE YOU CAN'T LISTEN, YOU CAN GET A LEVEL 1, I WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU A LEVEL 3" and tells the guy 'I'm sure you can find something wrong' and walks off...I'm not happy but 'my' stuff was tight so figured I'd get to see what this is all about...

After he's done he tells me to go into the office with the d-head and get my license back, I walk in there and he hands me a paper with 3 items, crack in windshield(which was getting fixed the next day) and my 4th and 5th axle emergency cross tubings were worn to the 2nd color in places...I had no idea what he was even talking about but continues to tell me I can't leave until they're fixed and reinspected, ARGH!

So I walk out back wondering if I'll get out of this place tonight, luckily there was a mechanic working on another truck so I asked him if he could fix it, he said sure, for $200...I got t-chek and 3.5hrs later I was out of there...

Will this show up on my DAC or be part of the CSA scoring?...

After that I made my delivery and made it to the SFS terminal by 2am...Took a shower, washed my clothes and was asleep by 4, long day...I woke up and there were 15 other drivers waiting for loads so figured that wasn't a good sign but truck was going into shop so I knew I'd be there a bit....They got it in by 9am and it was done at 4pm with a new windshield, oil change and new headlights, seems like a long time for such little things doesn't it?...I did too...In the interim I missed a qualcomm message for a load to Boise, ID, I was pissed as load was given away...

Decided to go to office and do a face to face with dispatcher and luckily she handed me an even longer run to Denver while I was there!!!!!...Sitting just over the AZ line on I-40 now...I'm just happy to be rolling...Very tired, going to bed, ciao!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deserted1

Deserted1 Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    Piece of advise, anytime you do any kind of mouthing off or gesturing to a scale they will inspect you. Best bet is to do what they say and act stupid, 99% of the time acting stupid gets you out of there quick.

4. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    The bad news: those deficiencies will count as accumulated points on your CSA record.
    The good news: those points disappear little by little every year. After three years they're completely gone.

Don't let this incident get you down. Just take it as a "lessons learned" and be more careful next time. Drivers are more accountable for everything on their trucks. Get deficiencies fixed ASAP. You'll have less problems down the line. I'm kind of angry at the trooper: he threw his weight around by giving you a Level 1 instead of the planned Level 3 after you angered him. I don't think that folks like that should hold any type of authority.

Oh well. Stay safe and be careful out there!

rocknroll nik and SheepDog Thank this.
  5. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    sounds like you just got a dick head with a problem at the scale--just take it cool at the scale--go slow and watch the lights--usually they are pretty decent guys--but same as anyplace,you can get some body abusing his authority
    dont worry about it

6. AF461

AF461 Medium Load Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dover, DE
    Sorry to hear about this Walstib. Hopefully things will get better for you. Keep up the great posts though. They guys like you that are willing to post the good and bad are making it easier for us newbies to understand what goes on out there...

7. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    Well, with all that, at least you're rolling.

I'm still sitting in Dalton. After dropping my load yesterday morning at 7, I had to wait until midnight for a dumpy little 280 mile run to KY. So I forced myself to sleep yesterday and then they gave that load to a new guy. So now I've been up all night and ready to sleep again...LOL

Watta bet they'll want me to run today?

So far a killer new year. A 1000 miles this week. WOOPIE!

8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Try not to get any more points on your csa 2010 as they will add up quick.If you get too many, your company will have to let you go. On a positive note, any good inspections you get will help to offset the negative on your csa 2010. If you pick up a trailer that has a bad tire or maybe a lite not working, get it fixed soon as possible. Just make sure you do good pre and post trip inspections.

9. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    IMHO, the POST trip is more important the the PRE trip. If you find something wrong, you can get it fixed while taking your 10 and it won't cut into your delivery schedule. :biggrin_25525:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Lesson #1: never attempt to make eye contact with the PIGs while crossing a scale.

Lesson #2: lesson 1 really don't matter as they're going to do what ever the hell they want to ya anyways.

11. claredog1

claredog1 Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Goose Creek, sc
    Sounds like u had an ### of a cop. I've been pulled into inspections a few times specially hauling containers. I've never had a problem, I've had a few things wrong but minor and b4 csa 2010. Most of the time if you are polite, I even make small talk or have asked a few general questions, seems to get them in a better mood and not so much in busting your ###. They are doing their job just as u are yours. Once I was behind a guy giving the cop a hell of a time about his logs and from where he had run I knew he was either out or very close to being out of hours but swore he still had a couple more he was a real ### of a driver and I knew he was full of it cause I had made that same trip before. Any way cop shut him down and by now after sitting there forever waiting on this guy I was about out of hours 15 minutes from home. I thought for sure he was going to shut me down but I was polite made small talk he inspected my truck asked me where I was going I told him and he told me I wish all the guys I deal with were like you and told me to go on ahead home. Another time I had been working local hauling equipment and a buddy asked if I could make a trip to arkansas for him and forgot to update my last 7 days and only had 2 days I had been driving but I was polite and didn't give a hard time and was told to get a new log book put in my last 7 days and go on my way. I think showing some manners, kindness andlooking half way decent will get u a lot further than looking like a mess and slob and being a loud mouth know it all will. But I think you just got a bad cop cause sometimes when the sun shines on those screens it is hard to see the light.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.