Put OOS after level 1 inspection!

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by walstib, Jan 6, 2011.

1. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    I haven't unhooked from my trailer since October. Sometimes dropping a problematic trailer is a good thing. The trailer I have now has a litany of light problems. The good kind of light problems, intermittent ones.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I hate those intermittent things.

I picked up a load at the yard New Years Day, with 4 lights out on the trailer. I called the shop phone and the guy came in and fixed them, I figure it was from the hard freeze cracking the fixture from trapped moisture, but it could have been that the previous driver that pulled the trailer didn't post trip when he dropped it.

I hate relayed loads for the same reason, only then, you get it fixed yourself or on the road at a shop.

I had a turn signal give out on the back of a trailer, I fixed that myself as soon as I found it. It was working when I left with it.

4. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    i sometimes keep a trailer for awhile, theres a couple times i had one for a week. if its one i dont like i might change them at a terminal if i drop one to bobtail somewhere. i never get anything too bad with ours, just lights out or a couple that were totally missing. ive had to recrimp some of the wiring on some but i actually carry connectors and stuff so its not too bad. my biggest thing is some of ours have tandems that really just dont like to move easily. when you pull one awhile you get used to it and how to get it to cooperate, but theres been a couple when a bunch of shippers/recievers want you sliding them around it gets old really freakin fast if your stuck with that trailer too long.

5. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    I just hate it when drivers don't post trip a trailer....:biggrin_25510: The last THREE I've had needed one thing or another. Two of them I could fix myself luckily (A bad bulb in a taillight on one and a hanging mud flap on the other). But the third (out of Dalton) had no plate light and the upper front right maker was torn off. I was lucky that the Dalton shop guys were there at 00:00 but it still set me back 2 hours. I don't have a ladder and don't plan on getting one....:biggrin_25523:

In my humble opinion, the post trip is more important than the pre trip even when you're still under the load. If something is wrong, you can get it fixed during your 10 so it doesn't mess with the delivery time. When you're dropping it, it saves the next driver the headache. Let's work together folks. Nobody else is looking out for us. :biggrin_25514:

6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Wrong , companys Are going to start getting rid of drivers who rack up too many points on csa because they will hurt the companys score.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  7. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

Yep. Last company I worked for adopted the point system Jan of 2010, fired two drivers who went over 14 pts by May.

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I know they're doing it, but that's just plain stupid. Even if they fire a driver for accumulating a few points (and 14 ain't many) those points will remain with the carrier for two years. Terminating the driver doesn't do them any good - just shows that a carrier's management has no clue about how CSA works.

9. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

I agree with you 100%. But I think that company knows full well they are going to be a target, what with killing a car full of children in Kentucky a couple years ago with a driver who was so over hours it was rediculous. (They are monkeying with the company name because of this.... Oh, and... that driver is now the Safety Manager in Evansville, IN)

They do not dispatch with any reasonable consideration of hours available at all. They have no clue how many hours a driver has, flat out told me when I told them I was almost out of hours "cant you just fix it?", wanted me to run a reefer from Charlotte to Sysco-Boston for a next morning delivery (It was 9 in the morning and I had been on the clock for 5 hours already)..... I told them it would get there the next afternoon... PERIOD. I ran a load down from Charlotte, to Evansville, IN, unloaded at 7am about an hour after getting their, went up the road to pickup another load of corn flour due in Charlotte the next morning. Didn't get that trailer loaded until about 3pm, slept at the J until 10pm, ran to Charlotte and delivered. Time to rest, right? Wrong. I shagged trailers back and forth to Columbia, SC all day before getting to go home and get some sleep. The odds were due to catch up to me sooner or later, so I left.

10. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    We have had meetings all week.. 1 point you are wrong on it does help the carrier in letting the driver go.. Not points wise but if they are audited it shows that they are taking "corrective" action. It sucks this "rule" was made to kill trucking and push for other modes of transportation.. or mexican trucks whichever one you like.. It will increase both, with the law of unintended affect, it will also increase trucking accidents and deaths by truck.

Jarhed1964 and lilillill Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.