putting his coffee cup down..???

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by buddyd157, Jan 6, 2020.

1. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Sadly, this is what the industry is coming too isn't it....Maybe by 2022, the G will make this mandatory, like they did ELD's, and pee testing you once a month, sheesh....

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Maybe, 3 people in the cars might still be alive. We can't really being say if the drivers was not paying attention don't hit the brakes try stopping. I guess if you have structural steel you better go for the ditch. The new system seem to work good. My truck has it. It not the old On Gaurd system that come on for bridge shadows or road sings

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I suspect "putting my coffee down" is his story until his phone records come back.

5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Maybe but most loads on flatbed would kill u stopping so quick like that . Structural steel would not only kill the driver but would land on top of watever is in front of that truck which would be another car in this situation. And suicide coil, forget about it . That thing would flatten everything in its path. I think technology is great but it is not easily applied across the industry and does not fit every application. There is no need to go for the ditch if u are paying attention. They make these technology system as a band aid fix. But the root of the problem is all the distractions that are in the cab of the truck and drivers not paying attention.

Bud A., calnca, clausland and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    The driver made up the coffe cup excuse, and the sheriff was not buying it! Reckless homicide.

7. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    yeah right, first of all you WILL LEAVE hands from 10 and 2 position while making sharp left or right turn on a regular street , guess what you just terminated yourself! :)

x1Heavy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yes it’s totally out of hand.
    I see this constantly with trucks passing me and I look over and their face is buried in there phone.
    I just recently had a truck pass in the left lane and he had his face in his phone.
    As he passed me he drifted in to my lane and hit my driver side mirror knocking it forward as he went by.
    It’s gotten ridiculous for sure.

9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    We had a driver in our terminal years ago, ran off the road at full speed, missed the driveway to the scale at mm54 on I-80 east in PA, and plowed into the building, which was closed. He had left our terminal 2 hours before the accident
    His explanation was he was choking on a piece of hard candy and lost control. Management fired him, he filed a grievance and the Teamsters got his job back. This was years before cell phones. No way to prove or disprove his explanation.

Bud A., x1Heavy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    One thing I dont see or havent heard about this accident. Is what company did he work for?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Iowa-based trucking company called VL Trucking, Inc.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.