qualcom gps directions and maping

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Theghosthunter, Dec 8, 2012.

1. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Today comming up a section of I-85 in VA, my GPS went all goofy on me. All of a sudden, I was OOR, in the field, then on some two lane and then I was off the road. I then remembered that a few months ago, this happened in the same area of VA. Finally after about 10 miles, decided that I was okay and started to to what it is supposed to do. Good old technology.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. capthook

capthook Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2010
    NC
    Where did all the city and town names go?
    Not a single one anywhere.
    So , have to take the us-whatever outside of crudsville... what? No crusldsville or anything.
    (Look at NY City, looks like a pile of spaghetti, ha!)
    I also liked to look and see what town I was driving through.

4. truckbuddha

truckbuddha Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    It's not just yours' mine did the usual routed me down a residental street, a turn so tight that a person on a ten speed bicycle would have had a hard time making it. When by just have gone up 4 more streets, there was a nice big fat 5 lane road to drive on, I know because that was how I left the place today.

And tonight, its showing me on I-64, but it split off and I am on 57, but gps is still showing 64, ah-ha! Even more glitches we are discovering!

Whats funny to me is the button for health clubs and coffee shops. I tried the coffee shop button, and it would have been great if I was in a car, but I don't think yet that Starbucks has a drive thro for big trucks.

5. skip1955

skip1955 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Harlingen, TX
    Just started with a brand new company , ( we were the third load out ) Weslaco Tx to Newark NJ ! QC died in the 1st Hr and never came back up, so glad I had my own gps to take along. but it to is not trucker friendly , had to burn some brain cells when in NY , to find my own way back to the GWB.................. Question !!!! new boss wants us to write down ( fill out ) a mileage/state/hwy form for each trip, says its for hwy tax's and DOT required ? has to be in truck ? Have any of you drivers heard of any thing like this ??????

6. truckbuddha

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Yes in the so called 'old days" it was a common practice and the only way to keep track of your miles for IFTA. Out west still, there are small pull off areas, no longer used but, were for a driver to pull over when entering a state, to write down their mileage, beginning and ending.

I worked for one company, way back in the day where, on the back of each trip envelope was a chart to be filled out, states driven in, beginning and ending miles, fuel bought, etc.

Your boss is right, just trying to be honest and not speculating on the miles driven in each state.

7. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Ohhh, I remember those days so well, in fact when with WERNER back in the early 90's, back of the trip envelope, and also remember some others, fuel, highways and routes.

8. truckbuddha

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Yeah your right, we had to list what highways or roads we were on, omg, I totally forgot.

and just think, we all complain about big brother qualcom, but no more going into a place and the first thing you did was look for a phone to use, to call your disp. and wait on hold for about 30 mins or so, to tell them your being unloaded or something, then to be told to call them back in an hour or so, and they will tell you if they had anything for you. so we couldn't stay on the cons properity, so after you leave, you head to where you think you can find the nearest phone to use to call your disp.

omg, I love the new days, alot better than the old ones were.

inkeper Thanks this.
  9. Collinl

Collinl Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I have has success using My old Rand McNally and my new Garmin 560. Between the two, when one messes up, the other is there to back me up. It doesn't always happen but, it has kept me out of trouble and on time with my loads. I am planning on getting the 7 inch model for one of the two. I am leaning more towards the Garmin 760LTM model, but no matter what, I don't think I will ever use just one ever again. I don't think they make a GPS that is superior above others. If they would mash these two together and make everything smoother like most tablets now a days, they would definately have the best GPS available.

10. Silvermitts

Silvermitts Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Ga
    the best thing I can say about a qualcom is
    I DON'T OWN IT !

11. Western Sky

Western Sky Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Qualcomm mcp 200. Gps is navigo by telogis.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.