Qualcomm MCP 50 problems

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by javelinjeff, Sep 17, 2017.

1. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    Using MCP50 on a 1995 Pete with a 5EK Cat,,unit is not showing any miles traveled since installation last year,,just turned on the E-log, was previously only used for load info and rates paid to truck/dispatch. If we log sleeper (wife and I) it will keep us there overnight,,if we log Off Duty, it will put us On Duty at midnight when the key is turned on in the morning,,also it shuts down as soon as the key is turned off, even though it is programmed for two hours usage before entering sleep mode.. Anybody know how to make it work correctly???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Install it correctly....
    First the power issue. Sounds like there is no constant power going to it, only switched power. Run a fused constant power wire.
    All others are likely an incompatibility with the engine ecm, or lack thereof. You would need to call Omnitracs to see if it even usable with that motor.

4. javelinjeff

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    Was installed by company shop, told them about the lack of constant power,,big issue is going to be logged miles

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you are worried about the eld mandate, you should be fine. Unless the engine is 2000 or newer you are exempt. Still need the paper log though.

If it's a company policy thing, well again you need to see if the mcp is even compatable with the engine.

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Go to the diagnostics portion of it and see if it's recognizing the j1939 or J1787 packets. If it's not, and the truck never shows any miles, it might be that the inline fuse is blown. If the truck is running, it should show multiple packets under both those.

Ad it might not be able to communicate correctly in the whole 70 pin or 40 pin ecm issue, but I think someone makes a conversion harness.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  7. javelinjeff

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    Speed is reading,,rpm is reading,,everything except miles traveled

8. bigbadjons

bigbadjons Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2015
    did you ever figure out what was the issue with the eld? I have 1993 with a Detroit and was told that the odometer will not work through the ports on the older models

9. javelinjeff

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca

10. javelinjeff

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    Ended up selling the truck, now I have a newer nightmare

11. OT John

OT John Bobtail Member

May 6, 2019
    I can surely help with this.

I have yet to see anything older than a 1998 60s series that will work under ELD, AOBRD, and may work with EOBRD.

I see you sold it, but.....for those who still have older models.
    You can revert back to an older firmware version and be able to use manual driving mode. But I do nto remember which one records miles off GPS. i would like to say the 9xxx version. We are at 13.xxx now.

Whats the issue with the current truck?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.