Qualcomm timeout

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by dieselfuelonly, Mar 20, 2014.

1. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Do you mean a separate fuse panel near the black box (just for the box), or are you talking about power wires running to the qualcomm harness from the tractors main fuse panel? If so I definitely want to look into this. I'll put a little switch on the dashboard for when I want to go home and turn it off, otherwise I'd like it to stay on all the time. I HATE waiting for the thing to wake up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedbuggy84410

speedbuggy84410 Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    I have a Kenworth T-700, it's in my main fuse panel for the truck. In fact I believe it's in all trucks main fuse panel. That's where the Qualcom gets it's power from. You will see two small black wires plugged into the acc side. 1 is bat, 1 is ign. pull the ign out and plug into bat.

4. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    It was like that in my century but cascadias are different

5. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    Wow no more then 5 mins for full boot. Geeze your generation is so impatient.

6. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC

Geeze your generation is so cranky.

And here is the problem I have with it, its not the initial bootup time, its doing it over, and over, and over again.

Wake up, turn on ignition, qualcomm starts to wake up. If I leave ignition on, no problem, but if I turn it back off, so my APU can start back up, etc., it'll time out shortly afterwards and then I have to repeat it again. This morning was a perfect example, got a message from my ICA, which woke the Qualcomm up. She wanted some information so I started writing my reply, then stopped and grabbed my laptop to get some info for her, so I set the Qualcomm down. Once I get the info I need, and pick it back up, its already timed out and turned itself off again. So my message is gone, I have to turn the ignition on, stop my APU/heat or AC, then wait another 5 minutes for it to boot back up, etc. Its the repetitive waiting and waiting for this thing that annoys me.

KD5AXG Thanks this.
  7. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    Only messing with you. You can keep it awake just by pressing stay wake when the warning box appears, it gives you like 30 sec to keep it awake. Just remember how sensitive the black box is. Keeping constant power will kill that black box fast.

8. rcd127

rcd127 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Madison, AL
    What i do to keep it awake is start the truck for about 2 minutes. That reboots it and resets the timeout timer. It is usually good for 2 hours.

9. speedbuggy84410

speedbuggy84410 Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    It's no different than idling your truck constantly. If it's that fragile then good, I hope it fries.

10. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I know, I'm just giving you a hard time as well moosc. We have a reputation to keep up here, you know. I know you can keep pressing the "Delay" button but that gets old watching over it after a while. I've never heard of computer components dying from constant use (I'd imagine starting/stopping would actually be harder on them), but heat will. The black box in my company truck fried itself when the truck was sitting in direct sunlight for several hours at a shipper once, and I had to shut it off because I wasn't allowed to stay in the truck while they spent several hours loading me, so I know it got really hot inside the truck. Starting the truck for a few minutes does seem to work, but I refuse to start my engine unless the truck is going to be driven and the engine given a chance to warm up. Starting and stopping a cold engine (not giving it a chance to warm up completely) is very hard on it, and since this engine is mine to take care of, I won't subject it to that kind of abuse. Not to mention I'm not a fan of replacing starters any more often than I need to, lol.

11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    reported to the truck this morning at 0400. open the door, insert key and turn to start the process. Hear this ticking noise coming from the overhead and nothing but a black screen.

ran paper today and couldnt finish out yesterdays load(dedicated wont let us drop my unless we take our loaded at the same time. WTF!!!) Nor could I accept or do anything on todays run!!!

Boy do i like elogs!!!! 4 copies til I got it right. Office is in central time zone. park and work in eastern.

then I get it checked in to change out the backup battery like IT support submitted the work order for but they changed out the whole thing. First thing the Head Mech says is hey can we borrow your truck for a training cycle? Thought he was joking being April 1 .Some kind of green house gas training or something. It required a 2014. So I agree because they are always good to me in Obetz. In a condo 2013 loaner for 2 days. Its clean.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.