Qualcomm will be locked out while driving beginning July 18

Discussion in 'Prime' started by prosidius, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Hell if they are using the omni tracks gps on quallcom ya'll best get a rand mcnally for back up...cause the omni tracks actually freezes up in places like LA, lot of big cities going thru town or in heavily wooded mountainous areas

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Robd1178

Robd1178 Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Considering the QC puts you out of route just for pulling into a weigh station in some cases, the fact that we can't rerouted while in motion is asinine.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I got the CoPilot app on Android 6 months ago and haven't looked back. It does live traffic, but stores the maps local for those with limited data.I used it just yesterday to route around a city center when I saw there was heavy traffic and the 5 mile detour on the bypass was faster. It's $80 a year but worth it in my opinion.

5. Prime-Mate

Prime-Mate Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    They tried this a few years ago, lasted about a week.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I like the qualcomm. As a deaf man having the precise information in text message form was a breakthrough that allowed me to stay in the industry. However wife did alot of typing for me when we were running down the highway. You won't believe how much time it takes to actually stop, park and do the messages and then get back onto the highway.

Generally messages from dispatch is not that important. Call me wont happen until today's 500 miles is finished and anything else less than a total emergency can wait or is not responded back for a good while if ever.

Back in about 1995 we had a evening of QC messages to internet live chat once. Left Biloxi northbound into a ice storm and got into Chattanooga TN before we had completed our series of communications back and forth. It was a good friend on the east coast. He does not know that he owes me 30 dollars for the messages costs in total after 5 hours worth of chat. But since I was on ice and it was at night and only responded at idle in lowest gear crossing the foot of sand on the MS bridges it was not that hard and it was a good morale boost that night so I'll let it go. It was a portent of a brave new future where cell phones and text messaging became much more common and cheap. It costs nothing to pass a stack of text messaging on phone.

However, I am a big fan of QC and refuse to part with it. Every truck should have the #### thing.

Now if Uncle Sam will just stop fooling with laws as if we were children that are misguided and need correction....

7. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Learn to read a map, no need for GPS

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    You don't know what your missing. ;)
    Ironically It is a map.

MarkH129 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    How ironic is it that drivers hit low underpasses because their GPS "told" them to go that way? How ironic is it that if you GPS doesn't speak the directions you get lost?

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    And a map will be better?

MarkH129 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Screenshot_20170809-152425.png
    Let me know when your paper map does this.

Tb0n3 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.