Quality coax

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jammer910Z, Dec 21, 2016.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Without being able to offer scientific data other than personal experience it seems as if I'm able to hear freakish distances. The guy that set up all of my stations recommends 180 degrees of LMR 240. He also says you will see no benefit to that cable if the connectors are not soldered correctly which is very difficult to do. If too much heat is applied to the connector for too long a period of time the dielectric inside the cable will melt damaging the characteristic impedance of the cable.
    The ham guys will argue, but I think the results kind of speak for themselves in the 45 mile Cobra 29 video.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    In that video, Jason is the guy with the 45 mile Cobra 29 in a Kenworth W900 with a 4-foot Firestik antenna and I'm listening on a magnum S9 10-meter export radio that's been drastically modified for some serious receiver sensitivity in a Chevy Tahoe with a Wilson 5000 roof mount.

4. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Both of us are using 180 degrees of LMR 240

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    you're funny Rabbi, I mean come on... it is cb.

bored silly and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I wish I could come up with a scientific explanation for why my stuff seems to work the way it does but unfortunately I can't do that.
    I'm pretty good at following instructions. One thing I noticed is that when I follow instructions I'm very happy with the results and when I took it upon myself to deviate from those instructions mysteriously I'm not so happy with the results so I just do what I'm told to do and I'm very happy with how my stuff works. I ask no questions I just do what I'm told to do

7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm just messing with you.

You ever see an eggbeater CB antenna?

I ran across one the other day, it was made by Linear Antenna systems, I've never heard of the place, and can't find a thing about it in anything I have here or at my other place.

It looks like a monkey made except with a round wire "cage" 3 or 4 inches above the coil using the same width but thicker metal than the coil. The instruction sheet that came with it has a copyright date of 1979. I should post a picture of it if I get around to it.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Fig 2.jpg Fig 2.jpg
    I've seen modern-day incarnations of that eggbeater antenna. I think this would be a creative solution for Craig...A Single-band Spiral Dipole T-Match antenna solution. Think of a T-Match as a “balanced Gamma match” as the feed connections are equal distance from the center of the dipole. This particular T-Match antenna consists of a 1/4 wavelength spiral about 27 Inches in diameter over a second 1/4 wavelength spiral separated by about 3 feet in the vertical, see Figure 2. To my surprise I found it to be a simple to build antenna and works great without tuner. Its table lamp size makes it easy to setup next to your tailgate or patio deck yet on the air has the same performance as a full size dipole, flagpole or small loop in the attic of your home. More about signal reports including more details on how to easily test antenna performance accurately are discussed a little further on.

9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Honestly I think Craig would be better off with an E-H antenna than anything else.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Craig's starting to use/play with his field strength meter the best receive he's gotten is with the 40"pole mount with his 22" shaft predator antenna. he's heard radio man from Carlisle from 22miles away on two different occasions. but could not reach him talk back to him....think he's pretty much flushed that dip pole idea deal down the toilet........

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I've never had much use for a field strength meter. Once I drill my hole the field strength is what it is and there's nothing I can do about it. I just let the antenna do its thing and that's as good as it gets

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.