Quest Global...all steer tires?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Truckerwoman.2015, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Truckerwoman.2015

Truckerwoman.2015 Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2015
    I have worked at Quest for about 5 months, driving on and off since 2006. The second or third day into orientation they showed us the new trucks and I noticed that they run all steer tires with a tag axle on the tractor (10 steer tires!). I have never seen this before on any truck. I have never refused to go anywhere, but I am slipping and sliding in dry dirt and rain with this crap, so I have refused any Northwest runs at this time. They are convinced that these tires are not only safe but even better than regular tread tires. To me, this is obsurd and lacks common sense and logic. Any feedback from experienced drivers would be appreciated.

BTW save your time with Quest. They are nothing but salespeople and they are unsafe, dishonest, and anyone can do better. The pay is good but you will gulping manure by the gallon.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Reason for edit: change
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Don't sound copasetic to me.................

Truckerwoman.2015 Thanks this.
  4. steven777

steven777 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2015
    It seems they are trying to save money.Steer tires are cheaper than drive tires.You will experience less traction and also that tag axle doesn't help you.It is a weight saver from what I have been told.

Truckerwoman.2015 Thanks this.
  5. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Depends on the steer tire, some of those are really friggin' costly. Now it might not be "steer" but those omni-directional tires that can be used as steers and drive tires and worth as well as a fat man in socks on a freshly waxed floor...

TruckDuo and Truckerwoman.2015 Thank this.
  6. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Let's see how they feel about their cost saving tires when they send the hook after one of their jack knifed loads.... I wouldn't drive for a company that puts profit ahead of public safety... Not to mention if they can't afford tires how can they afford to pay for a driver

7. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    What is the difference in tread design between an all position tire and a super single? They are both a closed shoulder design.

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  8. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    Have you checked the tire pressure?

The only issue you would have driving on a All position tire is in deep snow they take some getting used too but they are just as safe as the normal set up.

I belive most companies use them on team trucks to cut down on fuel more then anything else

9. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    My company purchased a number of trucks with tag axles but the last I heard they will not be ordering anymore this way due to the outpouring negative reviews they've gotten. Ours have regular drive position tires on the power axle and all-positions on the tag. Constantly getting stuck in gravel lots or lots with holes let alone snow. They are also apparently more prone to jack-knifing in slick conditions.

flightwatch, TruckDuo and superflow Thank this.
  10. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    My wife and I went to Quest Global orientation but left after day two. They go with the tag axles to save 800lbs. That means they can haul 800lbs more of whatever reefer load their picking up. That's their bread and butter. Had a few friends who work there. One of them had to get towed out when they got stuck in the snow. :Bicycle:

What turned us off about the company was the pay wasn't spectacular, health insurance was terrible and they advertise unlimited hometime but you have to get approval from the higher ups. Another thing that really sucked was that they have a company shop but they don't do anything other than real basic stuff. So it's the driver's responsibility to take the truck to TA/Petro or the dealer and get it fixed.:dontknow:

The one good thing about the company is that they have the miles. Mostly coast to coast. A lot of the reefer loads teams bring back from the west coast gets dropped at the Georgia or Florida terminal. A local guy will deliver it.:headbang:

11. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    That's not all they save....MPG's go way up and maintenance goes down.

flightwatch, Sneakerfix and TruckDuo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.