Question about a Mack

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HvyHal Gam3ing, May 11, 2021.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    237 was the maxidyne. Came out 1966. ENDT675 the thermo was I think a END673 that was non turbo. Lemme look that up

Rideandrepair and Dino soar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HvyHal Gam3ing

HvyHal Gam3ing Light Load Member

May 2, 2021
    Angier, nc

I've seen that guy before he is fun to watch. And yes, from my understanding the 3 stick shifter is just a glorified 18 speed. You have sticks to play with instead of the toggle switches on top of the shift knob. I eventually figured that out just by watching this guy a bunch of times. At least, I am pretty sure that is what is happening.

Rideandrepair, Dino soar and Don379 Thank this.
  4. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Why is that insane? Its a standard rtlo18918b 18 speed. Not the gear pattern from second image. those are 2 air shifters. One is the replacement for the silver splitter button and the other is replacement for high and low paddle. Any one that drives 18 speed like myself could drive that. HE is also taking main gear shifter out of gear to split shift which is not needed. Hes just doing that to show off to people that dont know how 18 speeds work. Making it look like all that work is necessary

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If that's the case it's insane he would put sticks in rather than just using a regular shifter. I'm sure he likes to show off but especially if he works that truck that's kind of cuckoo.

And I know the old Macks you had to but anything that you have to take both hands off the steering wheel to shift that to me is no bueno, especially if you took something simple and easy you can do with one finger and now you have to use both arms...

I'll take my nice shift knob with button selectors :)

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You can get a conversion kit, to make your button a stick. After you get a 5’ stick, and seat on the floor. Looks real important. Lol. That 2 Nd pattern looks wild. Hate to take that on a road test. Guess I’m reading it wrong. Does make me laugh, imagining trying to remember all that.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Baskins Truck sales, Covington. Lots of Trucks. Generally good prices. Lot of high mileage fleet Trucks. Prices used to be real cheap. Cash only. Must have financing now. They have a lot of Trucks alright. All types. Some look pretty bad. Looks like a gamble, but I’ve seen some good deals there.

8. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Seen that before, splitter on the left, gear in the center, range on the right. Would be cool have that as a straight truck, pulling a pup trailer. Guarantee no body would ask to borrow your truck.

Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. HvyHal Gam3ing

May 2, 2021
    Angier, nc

Actually, in all technicality, if that guys vid works at all like a conventional 18spd. He wouldn't HAVE to use use both hands together. He could preselect his high range and then shift the gear with the same hand. Just like you can pre select HI and then let up the throttle. Or he can take it out of gear and put it back in. I do sometimes myself depends on how Im feeling. I think we are making more of this than what it is. This guy is having fun. Let him have fun.

10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Is that the transmission they were using in the Fast and the Furious movies?

The_Great_Corn and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  11. HvyHal Gam3ing

May 2, 2021
    Angier, nc
    lol probably

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.