Question about Canadian HOS

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by RickG, Apr 11, 2009.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Say you begin at 8am after a 10 hour break.
    During the day you may take time on lines 1 or 2. Each must be 30 min or more to count. Your 14 hours on duty can now elapse over a 16 hour period. Times less than 30 minutes do not count and do not extend the 14h window. You still only have 13 hours to drive and 14 on duty. So your 8 am start means you are done at midnight if you took a 2 hour lunch or 4x 30 min breaks during the day. Or any combination where each is 30 min+.

Pamela1990, MartinFromBC and chauhan12 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mikestime

mikestime Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2007
    White Rock,BC
    Your work shift in 24 hrs is 16,clock time is 14 hrs, work time, 13 hrs drive time you must have 10 hrs off in that 24 hrs. So you have 2 hrs that you can stop your clock with, your stops have to be at least 30mins to stop the clock. and you can start diving after 8 hrs in sleeper. Can not work or dive past 14 hrs and make sure you show 10 hrs off

Pamela1990 and chauhan12 Thank this.
  4. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Good explaination mike, I cleaned it up a bit.

Your work shift in 24 hrs is 16 hrs, 14 hrs is work time, 13 hrs drive time you must have 10 hrs off in that 24 hrs. So you have 2 hrs that you can stop your clock with, your stops have to be at least 30mins to stop the clock. and you can start diving after 8 hrs in sleeper. Can not work or dive past 14 hrs and make sure you show 10 hrs off

chauhan12 Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You can work past 14 hours. Just can't drive until 10 hours off.

Magoo1968 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  6. truckmath

truckmath Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    I can confirm this as of my conversation with the MTO when I was forced to wait past the 16th hour at a customer's dock. Loblaws on Bayly in Ajax will make you sit there forever in their docks and then when you ask what's taking so long, they will come up with some random excuse. Worst part about that place was the security office first told me that my Bill of Lading number wasn't in their system, and they refused to let me speak to the manager, so I raised a ruckus with them, they brought the manager, and then the manager found the Bill of Lading number in their system. Don't know what their problem was. Never wanted to go back there after that.

Another worst part about it was being forced off the property because they said they didn't have overnight parking due to lack of space. So, rather than get arrested for something, I left the property way past the 20th hour. It was an absolute terrible experience and the MTO said that if I wanted to make a formal complaint, then they'd have to give me a ticket for violating the HOS. (Because I drove past the 20th hour.) I thought that was pretty interesting, but thankfully, I still have a clean CVOR. If you have a good reputation and you can prove that you were forced or coerced into violating the HOS, they will make an exception for you if you talk to them about the incident.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    bark77 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.