question about coupling

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by durrty, Aug 10, 2008.

1. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    yep,yep,yep!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

If it is high and heavy it cranks down easy. If it is low and heavy..... rut ro:biggrin_2554:

4. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    yep, saw a driver today didn't tug after backing in (girl in jumpseat)
    he pulled out and lost it. spent 15 min jacking the handle to get it up enough to hook it:yes2557:

5. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    For the most part that is true but having spent so much time at the rail yards I have found that sometimes landing gears aint all that easy trying to get up

6. postmandav

postmandav Medium Load Member

May 18, 2008
    south portland, maine
    Sometimes the landing gear squeals like crazy. sometimes it cranks very hard. Sometimes the placard saying which way to turn the handle is wrong. I am not a big fan of landing gear.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can do that pretty regularly. I drive a daycab though.

Well, that's also beneficial because of what can happen to airbags when you pull out from under a loaded trailer without dumping the air.

And that can help to not scrape all the grease of your fifth wheel when you back under the trailer.

8. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    The way I was taught to drop a trailer is to park it then get out and lower the landing gear untill a little air starts to eacape from the bags then stop unhook everything else Pull the 5th wheel release handle get in the truck drop the bags and slowly pull out untill the 5th wheel is clear sit there for a couple of seconds to make sure the trailer does not start to fall if ok then pull clear and find the next trailer to hook up to.

9. pt trucks

pt trucks Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2008
    denver,co
    Its my tk.. I want to keep it a while. dont bang. try the ballon test.. be gentle and dont break the ballon.. after you click , gently pull fwd to test the connect.. check for a high hook when you get out to hook up your lines. as you walk past the fifth wheel to dolly up.. stick your head under and check your plate to see if its not high hooked or. not hooked at all.. and yes.. we all make mistakes.. but these can be prevented by opening your eyes. if you live in high country during the winter ice gets in the jaws.. always always always.. check your connection. always. you dont want to live with your death or someone elses because you didnt take 4seconds to check your plate or your pretrip on a trailer.. its not worth alife. work smarter, not harder hollow man

davetiow Thanks this.
  10. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    stay calm everyone I also think you should do as the teacher says but banging doesent mean locked all I can say is ALWAYS do a tug test grab the spike put it in low and give a small tug than you know you are locked

11. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    I one time, decided not to put the trailer where I was parking it, and forgot to reset the jaws, Dropped the Trailer on the frame, and found out that those air bags can do a lot of the work for you when there is 45000 lbs of paper in the truck, I got some 4x4s and with the landing gear down as far as I could crank it, I then released the air from the air bags, the truck dropped down enough to put the shims in on the frame, and then I inflated the bags, giving me some more room to lower the gear more, I kept doing this until the trailer was at the right height again to back the 5th wheel under and lock the king pin, Saved a lot of work cranking! But I also learned a lesson!

davetiow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.