question about coupling

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by durrty, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is an old thread and I did not read all the comments so this might have been stated. There is no need to hit the king pin so hard it rattles your fillings. Just firmly back till it makes connection. Then do a quick tug test. This is not rocket science.

JLMooreKCMO Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JasonA

JasonA Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2018
    I get that but to push the latch back in ..how exactly can you tell if it’s a eighth of a inch out if it’s closed in back and passed the triple tug test

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    At some point you have to get out and look. You have to hook up the air lines and electrical. This is when you make sure the coupling is ok. If it is hook up raise the landing gear and go.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You could not damage a kingpin.

You do need to put it onto your plate in the V, that is the THUMP you hear. Stop a moment, add power and the next sound should be a nice CLANK! followed by a VERY GENTLE TUG to make sure it's secured then followed by a VISUAL CONFIRMATION that is engaged across that pin before winding gear.

You can have God hook on and try to break that pin, it will never happen.

You don't do a soft couple. I require a THUMP and a CLANK. ANYTHING less or none tells me she aint latched. But I don't BOOM into the pin either. it takes a little finesse.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.