Question about firearms

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Riotside, Jul 30, 2022.

1. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Must have had worn finish and gritty action, or he would have confiscated it. A few years ago I had a friend get stopped one night by a deputy. Discussion centered around his location; .357 armed and in proximity to an avowed enemy. Friend stated he just had it in the car, was not gonna kill him tonight, so??
    Officer judged it necessary to confiscate the weapon and hold for a few days. OK, It's night, go with the flow, work on it later. Got other better at home.
    Some time later he is advised by another friend that this deputy has obtained a nice hangy down action rig and wearing the piece as a service weapon.
    As a result, my friend took his purchase receipt; with SN#, in to the sheriffs office and had a heart to heart with the high sheriff regarding a missing pistol being in possession of his deputy. Deputy was called in, numbers compared, had no satisfactory explanation for having the weapon, as there had been no report of the prior stop. All was "understood". Deputy now works elsewhere, friend had it back. Long enough to sell and rid his paper trail. Only one of 2 that there is paper on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    About 15 years ago I challenged a citation in court pleading I did not know the law had changed, regarding the wearing of seat belts in trucks weighing over 2 1/2 tonnes. Guess what the Judge said? "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" So the onus is on you to understand the law, and follow the requests that each state requires regarding the transport of guns when traveling through.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My encounter in Virginia was before some of the members here were born. I was asked a question by the DOT cop and I answered it. he asked to see the weapon and I let him see it. Today Because I am a Virginia resident I could legally have one with me while in Virginia, in fact, unless I am going on one of the military bases here or the VA I am armed.

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  5. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Old days. Officer asked, was told, wanted to see. Discussion centered around, Blue steel but I like chrome, nice grip and feel with the fitted grips. How's it shoot, wanna sell it? Well, have a good day.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Reason for edit: center vs canter
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Even though most states recognize my Arkansas CHL, it is still on me to research the gun laws of states that I plan on traveling to/through. Handgunlaw.us is my go to site.
    As an example, if you get pulled over in Arkansas and you are armed, you have to let the cop know at first contact. In the surrounding states that doesn't apply.
    I don't know that knowledge is really power, but that few minutes of research can keep you from lots of trouble.

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Absolutely, Last year one of my friends and I traveled to Roanoke for personal business. On the way, a Virginia State Trooper stopped up about halfway between Williamsburg and Richmond on I 64. He was speeding but the first words out of his mouth to the Trooper were both of us are armed. All the Trooper did was say thank you and please place them on the dash. He was really cool and ran both of our IDs gave my friend a verbal warning and westward we went. Both of us laughed at the thought of us two old farts popping caps in that cop's arse!

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  8. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND

Now let’s figure out why the country has mass shootings and you will probably find the root cause of the whole gun issue in America….

9. Slm2jm3612

Slm2jm3612 Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    they have those tasers that shoot out 15 ft. that the law enforcement use. and you can get extra cartridges and it works pretty good.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  10. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Question? Unless you live in a state you are required to notify to officer you are carrying, how many people actually notify the officer of it? Seems to me if you’re not breaking laws besides whatever reason they’re stopping you for, you don’t have warrants out for your arrest, etc just seems like it would add to the situation. I’m thinking of that guy in Minnesota a few years back that notified the cop he was armed and ended up getting shot and killed. I’ve been stopped by cops before while carrying and never said anything. Never had any problems.

11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    In Louisiana, you are required to notify the officer upon contact.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.