Question about hauling Urea.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Sturgill, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    It probably is if they have a pit. Lol.

wis bang Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    First time I was a bottom drop plates on a bulker they looked strange to someone who had only dealt with powders and plastic pellets

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    We had them but they were more for washing out. We did have a couple places that would bottom drop salt. One place I liked was a hospital in KC. There was a manhole in their lot that we’d pull over and bottom drop softener salt.

5. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Matlack was big enough to have a little of everything tanker...and more Waste drum trailers with interior spill dams, vacuum units doing internal cleanup at wash racks, and more. Stuff bought for a specific use often 'floated' around the system after accounts closed or changed carriers being shuffled around where needed . We had dry bulk loading machines mounted on single axle macks using the PTO instead of a pony engine...you never knew what could pop up.

I opened a terminal at a DuPont plant that was heading towards shutdown. a neighboring terminal had a flatbed with sides and tarps sitting so they were paying corporate and hadn't found a new home for this oddball.

As the plant shut down the needed to return super-sacks of Vanadium catalyst returned to the source in Arkansas. My guys were fighting over these loads, I think in '92 they paid the operator $4500.00 round trip.

I used tha flat bed for a month, didn't pay to have it, and really boosted my P & L statement...

6. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I think in '92 they paid the operator $4500.00 round trip

WHAT?!?!
    Where do I sign up?

7. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The last trip was used plant equipment to another plant and Wilmington used a different tariff. He had waited for his turn at the brass ring and got the consolation prize, he REALLY gripped about that!

spindrift Thanks this.
  8. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I did one better, before moving to the DuPont plant got a call from Conrail about a leaking tank car just before going home..

I called in 4 junior men and took a mechanic an pickup out to the edge of a tree farm and pumped out a car that was overflowing the pail under the dripping valve and after Conrail bought us all breakfast, delivered it to the nearby customer.

Downtown considered 'emergency service' as one level of response to a customer location, portal to portal, but had this item called Emergency, emergency service [I kid you not] and head of invoicing said she stopped at $14K cause she figured 'that was enough'.....about $3K per truck and $2K for the mechanic, me and the pickup in 12 hours and two days before the end of the month, nice shot in the P & L on a slow month.

spindrift Thanks this.
  9. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hopper bottom mostly. Some places can be end dump. Just depends on if you have to dump it into a small hole for auger. Easy job but make sure to sweep good after. Some places will reject your entire load if they find a bit of it that has fallen down from top of trailer while you were rolling. It hangs in every crevice. Especially in the doors of the hopper and up on top, tarp side.

10. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The stuff do like to clump up. Never hauled any in my pneumatic, just cement and flyash, but humidity clumped in in hopper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.