Question about Illinois CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by i80hauler, Nov 30, 2019.

1. i80hauler

i80hauler Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2019
    Hi everyone . I have very strange situation , maybe somebody can help me with information . This is really confused me.

I'll try to explain my problem. I passed my CDL exam in Illinois in 2016 year. In DMV I got a paper - CDL credential and was waiting my CDL (in plastic) in 15 business days. I started my OTR training with this credential and everything was fine untill I got some family problems at home (in Europe) and should back to home immediatly. I've got no time to wait my CDL. I left the States and the address where my CDL should come was not actual, so now I got only credential. I'm afraid it was to long and my CDL expired. And I can't check it.

So maybe somebody know what to do in this situation. I mean what to wait cause this is really stupid situation. Can I just go to DMV and give them new information and got my CDL or I need to pass exam in DMV again? Or maybe their cancelled cause I'm not resident of the Illinois state now? Maybe somebody can help me with this question cause I'll be really appreciative for any information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If it is just a matter of not having the hard copy and the CDL has not expired OR you have not had your medical to expire you should just have to go apply for a replacement. It's called a lost license.

5. Juve1985

Juve1985 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Why bother asking this kind of question on this website when no one really knows the answer, you can get the answer to your question simply by calling Springfield, it's that easy

6. i80hauler

i80hauler Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2019
    I need to check once again. I've got only temporary CDL credential. I checked it once again and saw that iss.date is 10/24/2016 and it exp. is 12/08/2016. I got no hard copy. So that's mean that everything is gone? And my medical is already expired too.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state are you a resident of now?

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You have misunderstood my post. go to your closest state license office and take that temp with you. They will let you know if your CDL is valid or not. I think however your largest problem is going to be no medical that will cause that CDL to be downgraded to a regular license. An issue date of Oct 2016 should be valid at least till Oct of 2020. It is the CDL expire date you are interested in, NOT the temp copy!

x1Heavy, tscottme and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If your medical is expired, then your CDL is too. They usually give no more than one month grace period and you are way beyond that. You might have to start from the beginning. Check with IL state what to do next

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    You should have started 3yrs ago with not trying to cheat the system. A valid address would have forwarded the mail to you back 'home', wherever that is. Plus, I've never heard of Illinois sending drivers' licenses through the mail.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Essentially you never showed up to get your hard copy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.