Question about moving an axle

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Paul328, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Paul328

Paul328 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Hello,

I am interested in purchasing an International 4700 to use as a fifth wheel hauler. Most of the ones in my price range are former box trucks. This isn't a problem, most of them are just cab and chassis with the box already removed.

My question is about cost to make one fit my needs. Moving an axle is beyond my mechanical ability. If I bought a cab and chassis and need the rear frame cut a few feet and rear axle moved forward, does anyone know even a ballpark estimate what that would cost?

I am asking because I am weighing the options between getting a good deal on a cab and chassis and then add in the cost to move the axle versus buying the truck already short enough that is three to four thousand more in most cases.

Thanks for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    It could cost 3 to 4 pretty quick to get one shortened up to what you're looking for, just as easy to buy what you're looking for to begin with.

4. Paul328

Paul328 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Thanks Rubber Duck, in researching the 4700 models I very quickly found some are extremely sought after, like the 4wd. You can touch a crew cab 4wd from any year for under 25K.

5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    If you had a template for the frame, you could drill it so 1 or 2 sections of driveshaft is eliminated. Adding driveline is the expensive part.I stretched a International S 2300 single axle years ago. Daycab tractor stretched to accept a knuckle boom and 20' flatbed. I borrowed a template from the local International dealer.

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Shortening it is waaaaaay cheaper than stretching it, about any shop can handle that and a good one could do it in a day on a single axle rig.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.