Question about PC

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by D.Tibbitt, Jul 20, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Guessing computer logs aren't allowed up there?

My logs were done on laptop. When I was OTR.

MartinFromBC and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The AG thing only allows driving within a 150 mile radius from home terminal.
    He's not likely to be driving 1000 miles within that radius. Or during a shift.

I have 2 runs that put me at 640 miles for the day within that radius.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Wrong. It’s a 150 mile radius of where the load originates. When I get back in the truck I can post a pic of my Radius on Map app for what we do and you’ll be able to see how much is possible.

snowwy Thanks this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Not in the last 20-ish years. All I used were loose leaf. Even created and printed my own after a while. Inspected lots without issue (except for the occasional clueless horseman)... even the scale master at Yahk that would have nailed me to the wall if he could (after I said I wouldn't tell him my secret short-cut to California because then it wouldn't be a secret ;) my log from the previous week was... light on hours).

Truckermania Thanks this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    A strict reading of the rules says that non-connected ELDs are not allowed, but computer-generated logs (in place of paper) are fine. In practice, I think inspectors are just happy to be able to read some people's logs so they let that slide (and because the provinces are not bound to follow the federal regulations).

Use of Electronic Recording Devices

A driver may use an electronic recording device for recording their duty status if

(e) the device automatically records when it is disconnected and reconnected and keeps a record of the time and date of these occurrences;​
    - Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations

Truckermania and snowwy Thank this.
  7. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    You can run Elogs if you wish to, but must carry your last book for the first week you switch over. As of June 2021 Elogs become mandatory in Canada. Currently about half my trucks are running Elogs, and I hope that I can fit even my oldest trucks with them to, despite the fact that they would be considered exempt from it. I prefer them, and so do my drivers...a happy driver is always my end goal...because a happy driver takes good care of the customers to, and without happy customers the business will fail. Funny thing is my oldest drivers are the most happy to have Elogs. The ones in their 20s and 30s like them, but my drivers age 40 to 57 (57 is my oldest, and 24 my youngest) are the happiest to have them.

tarmadilo and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Our loads originate from the terminal.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Ok. It doesn’t change the fact that what you said about the Ag exemption wasn’t correct. Here’s where most of our Ag loads originate. As you can see with the right planning you can tie quite a few loads together. It’s entirely possible to run all week on the exemption, which I and others log as PC so that we do have a record of what we’re doing. Some guys choose to unplug theirs and go.

23407883-2D87-463C-8FF1-45540D233EB3.jpeg

Truckermania and snowwy Thank this.
  10. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    If a driver was out of time on his 70 and 180 miles from home...doesn’t he have the same problem either on paper or elogs?
    It’s the same rules isn’t it?
    So he can cheat on paper and get home...
    Or cheat on elog and drive PC and get home....
    You could get caught either way... or not...
    Not sure what the difference is....

11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have run loose leaf up there since they became available, and been checked multiple times, never a word said about the logs. I did get in a long heated arguement with them at Prince George, them claiming I couldn't get from fairbanks to prince george as fast as I logged it. He finally told me to get out of there when I finally told him to write me a speeding ticket, and I would come back to court for it.

I too have mine printed, that way I get exactly what I want, and they are hard to find up here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.