Question about PC

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Sep 23, 2020.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    65% of my day is 2 lane roads. i would rather park in a field in pa then in a loud area

Blue Zombie Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    I would and let them know that it is after the available parking was full. Now saying that, I haven't used it often and the longest amount of time has been 20 minutes outside of Birmingham headed to Fl.

I have never been contacted by log audit or safety when using PC in this manner.

4. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Some good input in this thread. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Jenn72 and Blue Zombie Trucker Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And this thread is a prime example of why it's typically better to simply not allow PC. Heck, even trucking companies get it wrong....

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Title 49 CFR says a CMV for the purposes of the HOS rules is a vehicle over 10,001 pounds rated weight. Over 16 passengers and any size if it is carrying a reportable quantity of haz-mat.

I sometimes see where people forget this and think of a CMV as being only one that requires a CDL. No big issue here, but because of operational needs and situations, I can see the need from time to time to have the use of a CMV for basic transportation.

I am NOT attempting to create a problem with my comments here. I am just getting tired of the way the FMCSA regulates HOS. There really should be no need for a driver either empty or loaded to be off their logs searching for a place to stop. This is because one of two situations is present. Either the driver/carrier has done a really poor job of trip planning/trip logistics, OR they are in a situation where the driver's clock time was grossly wasted getting loaded/unloaded. In the situation of detention, the FMCSA needs to get off their butts and FIX this!!! The FMCSA has the power under the power granted to them by Congress under the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution to regulate these industries! The FMCSA is reluctant to get involved with this and because of this, they have set up this PC situation that honestly is a grey area. It's open to interpretation because of the use of words like reasonable etc.

I would tend to agree with @ZVar about PC. I think drivers would be so much better off if the FMCSA would fix the problem by addressing this detention issue and leave PC be what it really was designed to be. A way for a driver to have transportation (((BOBTAIL))) around a terminal or their home! This, in my opinion, is a MUCH better solution.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    But on your same train of thought. What about the driver who parks his truck at home. He drives in to work. W/o PC he is losing working hours for non-working time.

aaronpeterbilt3787 Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A person whom parks at home are in the same boat they would be when at a terminal or otherwise on company property. They are still on duty once they start the day. Also let's not mix up "working" with the (((MODE))) of transportation to the job either. If I drive for XYZ Transport and bobtail home. I still have to get to the company regardless of if I do it in my S10 pickup or my new 2020 Pete!

9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    But that's my point. S10 not on the hos clock. So why should bobtail be?

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You totally missed my primary point. in post 45. AGAIN " I think drivers would be so much better off if the FMCSA would fix the problem by addressing this detention issue and leave PC be what it really was designed to be. A way for a driver to have transportation (((BOBTAIL))) around a terminal or their home! This, in my opinion, is a MUCH better solution"

I was not saying get rid of PC totally. I took the time in that post to be VERY specific about that point! "but because of operational needs and situations, I can see the need from time to time to have the use of a CMV for basic transportation."

Again I have no issue with PC when it involves using a CMV in and around a terminal or driver's home. The other stuff, however, points to VERY serious issues and needs to get fixed. ASAP!!!!

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  11. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    So I have been using PC illegal?
    I park my trailer in a lot in Woodland CA drive home 30 mi.
    Then in the morning PC back 30 mi to my trailer.
    So is legal?
    Sure hope so since I've been doing it for 3 years

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.