Question about sliding tandems

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rpangburn, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Dont mess with your 5th wheel, slide you tandems first, back 2 holes, then see from there. You sliding your 5th wheel as a new driver is going to give you a whole new world of headaches your not even prepared for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    33360 + 34760 = 68120

68120 / 2 > 34000

It's simple math. You'll never get both the drives and tandems at or below 34000 without moving the 5th wheel.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    He’s going to need to slide sometime, might as well be now.

Cattleman84, FlaSwampRat and ZVar Thank this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Ok I am going to post about an APP that makes sliding tandem so much faster... But first I must preface that knowing how to do it without the app is very important.

That said... Get on you smart phone and go to you app store... Download "Truckers Slide Calc" it can be used free... Just have to watch a short ad each time you use it... Or you can purchase it to remove adds and unlock a few features.

I have used it and checked it with a CAT scale... The only time it has ever given me a wonky weight was when I scaled a partially loaded trailer with the tandem clear to the rear of the trailer... But as long as the tandem is under the load inside the trailer it has been very accurate. Highly recommend, especially for those that struggle to get tandems set correctly.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    ALWAYS fuel before loading... Unless you know for a fact you need to load extra heavy.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The mill in Seeley Lake MT used to (might still, haven’t been there in years) have a sign that basically said if you need fuel to go across the street and get some because they were loading you up to whatever gross weight you’re legal for.

snowwy and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In my experience fuel weight equally splits among steer & drives. I would roll as you are. Under gross and less than 1K above axle limits is usually ok.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Most schools don't teach any of the practicalities of trucking. I saw ONE hookup to a trailer. I never saw anyone "drop" a trailer in school.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    A couple of things, first you need a tractor with a full fuel tank, Once your tandems are set you should never need to move them again. full of fule your steers should be close to 12000, if your 5th wheel is in the correct spot this will not change much if any even empty, the drives and the tandems should carry the weight of the load.
    No I maybe incorrect I have only been doing this for 30 plus years, 5th wheel is a set them and forget them for most drivers.
    The 5th wheel should be positioned basicly one notch in front of the center between the drives, then forget it. Has not mattered if Im pulling produce , flatbeds or tankers, this has remained the same over the years.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.