Question about tires

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Peterman88, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Peterman88

Peterman88 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Arizona
    Thank you everyone for all the great input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    If you're running otr l would run whatever size in 22.5 that's easily available on the road in case of a flat/blowout. Years ago 11r22.5 was always the easiest choice. Now l think most of the big fleets are running the size you have. A good tire shop should be able to point you in the right direction. Its no fun when you have to over pay for a brand new tire on the road because no tire shop within 50 miles has that size in a used tire. The truck will be fine upsizing to 11R22.5 if thats the most economical choice. Good luck.

Peterman88 Thanks this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    A good option for you might be used virgin tires with no plugs or patches. And steers make great drives. I'd think if you look around you can find sets for $100 per tire.

Peterman88 Thanks this.
  5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    I found a guy that gets 20 ft. containers from... ready... Thailand.
    I thought to myself ...here we go; these are gonna be junk. No way, real quality tires.
    Was I ever wrong. They are real hard rubber you can't hardly scratch with your fingernail.
    I bought 6 in my 19.5 size, and he beat the nearest competitor by 40 bucks a tire!!
    Orders in anything you want; only downside is its cash and carry. But I got bars and I can use them.
    Got 4 luggers for the rear, and real deep tread steers for the front.
    I used to buy used, but these are cheap enough that buying used is all over for me.
    PM me for the guys number if you're near Eastern Pennsylvania and interested.

6. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    The rolling resistance is probably off the chart.

I can't stand tire issues. Some guys like consantly dealing with tires on the road thinking they're saving money.

Go get new tires when you need them for crying out load.

Peterman88 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Any old hand that knows truck tires will tell you this. That there is 2 basic sizes for the 22.5 and 24.5 truck tires.
    Low profile and 11R. We use to get a laugh out of anyone that would call up and start reading off tire sizes, "I need a 295/75r22.5 or 275/80r22.5" there all low profile same size.

I'll wait now for all the people to tell me how wrong I am

Peterman88 Thanks this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Hate to bust your bubble but they are several low profile sizes and they are different.

Peterman88 and 6wheeler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.