Question about Wal-mart Hiring Process

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by rdotts52, Jan 25, 2015.

1. rdotts52

rdotts52 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Will Wal-mart work with a prospective new hire, who is currently employed elsewhere, by scheduling interview and testing for a time and date that is favorable to the candidate? Thanks.

Teddyblu Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. grabberblue12

grabberblue12 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    between here and there
    yes they are pretty flexible...

Teddyblu Thanks this.
  4. rdotts52

rdotts52 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Thanks for the reply.

5. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Wal-Mart has to be one of the most secretive and non-communicating companies I ever applied to for employment. After submitting an application, passing background check, clear MVR report I was given an appointment time for interview. I was applying to the new Smyrna, De. terminal and at the time I lived in Florida so I made plane and car reservations. After the interview with 3 people I was told we will be in touch. 2 weeks later I was told to arrive for another series of interviews so again another flight and car. This time I was also given a road test, told I passed with flying colors [after all I had over 20 years of accident free driving], given a tour of the facility and shop and the trucks I was told to head home and get my affairs in order as they would be calling within 2 weeks with orientation information. I never heard from them again and numerous phone calls got no reply until I received a letter when we were loading the moving truck to go north that they would not be hiring anymore new drivers. Oh well I guess that was not to be but I was deeply annoyed that this procedure and communication happened this way. I stilled moved and made a transfer with my existing company at their Delaware terminal and retired from them. Life is such but Wal-Mart is not as great as some might think. I talked with some other Wal-Mart terminals and was told to apply there as they had never heard of these kind of treatments to people and it must have been just Smyrna. I decided not to even try again.

6. noninetofive

noninetofive Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Hiram Ga
    So, did you come here to vent, or had to get it off your chest? If you read the Walnart , Here I Come thread, you would see that the walmart hiring process is nothing like you describe. By what you describe, I can tell that this happened many years ago as Walmart has streamlined the way they hire drivers. If you came to vent your frustration and displeasure, I can understand that but there are several threads here that do nothing but help drivers who want to work for Walmart achieve just that. Threads where drivers who have just gone through the process come back and help others throughout it. And also give advice and fellowship to other walmart drivers. It's a great place of positivity and support.

kruz1980, drozzer69 and TomOfTx Thank this.
  7. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Noninetofive,
    The title indicates "Questions about Walmart hiring process". It doesn't state positive or negative comments only. I placed a comment that was personal and not necessarily the norm so just take it for what is was. It might make a difference in someone's opinion or not. I'm sure there are more positive reasons to apply at Walmart and that is why I did too. We are all able to voice our experiences either good or bad. Like I stated before it could have been just the terminal in Delaware because I was told to re-apply at one in Tennessee or just the timing when I did. All I wanted was a reason as to why it happened like it did. Evidently you were offended by my comments and I am sorry if you took it personally but please don't. I think Walmart is a great place to work if you make it through hiring and it was just that some terminals might do things differently and maybe not correctly. Have a nice day.

8. WallyWife

WallyWife Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2014
    How long ago did you go through that situation?? I ask for a couple of reasons. The first is the way your original post read, this was many years ago. Second, is because there have been major changes in the hiring process in just the last 1-2 years. Also, how my husband went through the process 2.5-3 years ago is totally different to how it worked when he applied many years prior to that............. which was completely different to how people are going through the process now.

Yes, it is good for people to see both sides of the coin. However, to use a not positive experience that was done in a completely different way than it is done today, actually does potential applicants a disservice.

drozzer69, TomOfTx and noninetofive Thank this.
  9. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    WallyWife,
    Your point is correct and well taken. I agree with you 100% and I only expressed my personal experience. It was maybe 10-11 years ago and I am sure that it has changed since then. In no way did I intend to bash the entire Walmart system just the Smyrna, De. terminal did this and I had talked to some other terminals at that time and they also were shocked and asked me to re-apply at their terminals. I have a few friends that went to terminals in Brookville, Fl. and Tobyhanna, Pa. and are still there today and quite happy. I never received any reason for what happened and it was intended as another side of Walmart hiring that could take place. Maybe I should have started another thread about this and I apologize for stirring the hornet's nest. Have a good one.

10. WallyWife

WallyWife Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2014
    The system back then doesn't even have a resemblance to what it is today. My husband applied under that same system, the first time, and didn't have the greatest experience either. This inconsistency is part of the reason why it has been changed so much.

No need to apologize. Had you experienced the hiring proceedures more recently, I feel that you would have had a completely different outlook. It just goes to show how far Walmart has come when it comes to their hiring process, over the years. It also casts a more realistic light on some of those who lament for "the good ol days." LOL

noninetofive Thanks this.
  11. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Thanks WallyWife for the update. I wish I was still in the industry as a driver but I am now retired after 45 years and 3 million miles. Besides the "old" body doesn't quite work that well anymore. Even though I stay in good shape the hearing is starting to go so I wouldn't be able to pass the physical just because of that. I wish it was not that long ago as I would have loved to try again. Thanks for your updates and I wish you and your husband great success. Happy Memorial Day to all fellow vets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.