Question for 0/0 with 10 years or more experience

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Big_Red, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Big_Red

Big_Red Medium Load Member

May 5, 2011
    Not active
    Question for the O/O’s....
    I did some research on diesel prices from the last 20 years and I’m wondering...for those of you who have been in it this long...what kind of market trends have you noticed(if any) preceding and following a spike in prices like what we’re seeing. Last time they climbed up towards where they are now was 2013/2014.
    Just wondering if historically this coincided with any upswings or downswings. Thanks sorry for length.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    More has to do with who is President then anything. Pro traditional energy vs pro green energy IMO. Diesel will be over $4 by a year from now.

Dino soar, Rickp and Don379 Thank this.
  4. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Considering the guy in office atm has been quoted as saying he wants to ban the sale of all fossile fuel vehicles and that he plans to "tax it out of use" and what he did to keystone....$4 seems optimistic. Im planning on $10

Dino soar, Midwest Trucker and Don379 Thank this.
  5. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    exactly!!! How is that so hard for you truckers to see??? Shame on you guys that vote the over way and then complain about fuel prices. Not saying that toward the OP. But for all you independent haulers out there. Shame on you big time for running us into the ground this year. Theres always hope for 2024

6. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    its gonna get bad, real dam bad. 1000's of independent haulers are gonna have to turn in tere keys because people believe in cancel culture and feel the need to have to be less white. he new guy in office isnt even allowed to have a press conference.Why is that? gee i wonder why. Thanks America for screwing us low independent contractors

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The higher fuel is the more I like it....
    Just throw a fuel surcharge on that adjusts every week off the doe website.

I havnt seen a downturn that seems tied to fuel prices.........

jamespmack and Big_Red Thank this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet the only time fuel went over the same prices as this time last year was when Texas shut down refineries. But of course that has nothing to do with it.....
    Before that is was a good portion less, but lets not lets facts stand in the way of a good, if incorrect, rant.

Socal Xpress, ready2truck and Cat sdp Thank this.
  9. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I think his point was more along the lines of "what set of politics is going to bend us over this time" Then "biden be derp"

Right now the pro green crew is in power which its fair to say will likely have a negitive effect on fuel prices. However, your point is also valid insofar as external factors can cause price booms and crashes. For example the insane fuel prices are what caused the oil boom in ND to be so profitable and the crash afterwards. And is also why its unlikely we will see prices shoot back up like they did any time soon insofar as manufactureing costs. Fuel at say $10 a gallon is going to make alt fuel more attractive which puts opec back where they were.

However, its also true our current body of political powers are highly anti-fossile fuel which is very likely to have a negitive impact on us in terms of taxes. How much and how far remains to be seen, but im not hopeful that it will be a light touch.

Stuff like this is why i avoid these kinda topics to be honest. Politics can blind you to facts regardless of party and is always a good way to metaphorically start a bar brawl. Kinda like saying weeny trucks all suck or petes>kennys. Facts that all the above suck in diffrent ways matter less then X insulted Y and i hate that does.

10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Yeah I’m just saying... pro fracking and natural gas = lower energy prices. (Fuel in this case). Anti fracking and natural gas = higher energy prices. (Fuel). It’s pretty simple. Yes, there can be burps in the system along the way but the over all trend follows how the administration leans. Just the way it is no matter what side you support.

Im glad I invested in more fuel efficient trucks even while fuel was cheap. Positions me as well as can be for the next few years at the least. The downside is I didn’t invest in APU’s which now I’ll have to which will make my per unit cost increase a good $12,000.

11. Big_Red

Big_Red Medium Load Member

May 5, 2011
    Not active

Yeah I guess I should have expected it to turn political in hindsight. That wasn’t my intention behind the question. I’m in my 2nd year as on O/O in heavy haul so after dealing with the covid freeze my “rookie” season im just wondering if there was any trend in order to be prepared

Coffey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.