question for current may drivers

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by rpad139, Mar 4, 2014.

1. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    From what I was told May trucking does not allow you to take the truck home. The Driver must leave the truck at a terminal/drop yard at either Yolo,ca or Fontana,ca. Do any of you current drivers for May trucking travel a far distance when you take home time? I currently live in Central california...madera,ca to be exact. I've been talking to a recruiter and so far everything is looking good and might be leaving soon for orientation. The only thing im still concerned about is how am i going to to get home? Does the company let you park your car at yolo or fontana? is it safe to park your car there? yolo seems out in the middle of nowhere..

I was also thinking about just taking a greyhound from sacramento to fresno,ca on my home time but Yolo is still 20 miles away from sacramento. just worried about leaving my car at these places, or thinking it might be a hassle having to drive 200 miles to get home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seamallowance

seamallowance Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I park my car at Yolo and "live" in Eldorado County. I feel that my car is very safe at Yolo, for it is already a pretty safe area (and is guarded at night and on the weekends).

In addition, there are usually plenty of drivers coming and going that would notice anything unusual. (After all, their cars are there too!)

Gossip regarding any car-break-ins would spread quickly and I have never heard any.

4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Ha. My first year at May someone broke into my truck at the BROOKS TERMINAL! Busted out a side window and rummaged through everything. Anything can happen. They never did offer to help replace the window. So, park at your own risk.

rpad139 Thanks this.
  5. blwjr

blwjr Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Modesto, CA
    I live in Modesto I leave my car at the Lathrop drop yard its a turd hole but that's how most of May's yards are.

6. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca

Hey blwjr so you park the company truck at a drop yard in lathrop,ca? That would be very convenient for me versus driving from yolo.

blwjr Thanks this.
  7. MrStrype

MrStrype Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Layton, UT
    My first year, I spent with Swift (and yes I've heard all the swift jokes and dealt with all the swift put downs), but my point is this, at least they let me take my truck home for home time. I always parked my semi at my house for home time. They NEVER had a problem with it. I would not even consider a company that had a problem with it! ... my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Oh and btw, I only live about 2 miles from a May Trucking yard in Layton, UT...still didn't drive for them.

jomar68 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Sailguy

Sailguy Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2013
    In Fontana they rent yard space from US Xpress. Once the few May parking passes are gone you have to park on the street.

9. blwjr

blwjr Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Modesto, CA
    Yup that's where I park there's about 10 other may trucks there we share the yard with other company's.

10. jonny 77

jonny 77 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Can anyone tell me how fast the company trucks go and how about the lease trucks??

11. seamallowance

seamallowance Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Company driver trucks go 61. They take the governor off for lease holders.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.