Question for drivers in automatics

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nmill, May 31, 2020.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Mine works at any speed maybe your locked out at 30MPH. I just turn on stage 1 engine brake. Slow the truck to any speed I want with regular brake pedal. Then take foot off the brake pedal and set the cruise control. Descent Mode dash lights come on and I'm locked into that speed. I can go down Fancy Gap I-77 VA/NC State line. Rolling down the hill at 55MPH with Descent Mode doing all the work. I don't even have to touch the brakes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Last time I drove any major grade was with a straight ten. Our company more or less switched to all autos a year or so ago and I have absolutely no clue how to handle a loaded tanker going down a steep grade without blowing the engine up. So far on these road runs I've been doing between Platteville and Dalhart, I just stick to the more forgiving eastern route.

Seems like some of us are going to have to get completely retrained in mountain operations with these autos.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Just tap the brakes occasionally and stay slow. Use position 2. If that isn't enough use 3. You will turn 2200 but doubtful you will blow the engine. They designed it that way.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If your driving wth the DT-12 transmission. You can use Descent Mode or use the engine brake manually with the automatic mode.

To activate Descent Mode on the DT-12. You turn on stage 1 engine brake. Then using regular brakes slow the truck to any speed you want to go downhill at. The special part I think most mess up. You take your foot off the brakes and set the cruise control. This will lock the truck to that speed(basically cruise control in reverse) and the transmission will automatically downshift gears if need to try and hold that speed.

It will bring the RPMs up to 2200 and roll downhill at 2200 and turn on engine brakes automatically and switch between stage 1-3. You just have to make sure you don't have so much weight you push the truck pass 2400 RPMs. If you see that happening then apply the brakes and slow down. You going to fast for the engine and transmission to hold the truck and load back.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have never driven an automatic where the cruise control held it to a certain speed. My KW is governed at 65 but will run 76 down a big hill even with the cruise on. What does the DT-12 come in?

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    It is funny to me u guys out east call mont eagle a mountain , same for fancy gap lol

Dale thompson and Six9GS Thank this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have no problems going down it at 55, but the cops will get you. Speed limit is 35 because it's a 6% grade, but a short one. Still,. rarely a week goes by that there isn't someone in the kitty litter.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its just funny to me because i drive out west mostly... the first time i went down mont eagle.. All those signs and u have to stop and read them. I was expecting a huge mountain .. When i reached the bottom , i said " thats it ? Are u kidding?" Out west on some us and state highways u could easily find urself on 9percent or higher grade that is 10 miles long or more with blinding switchbacks and curves rated for 15mph . With ur trailer tandems riding the shoulder and truck on double yellow line... with ur only prior warning being that u just pulled a hill at 15mph and expect to go back down... no signs no runaway ramps nothing like that ... now ive learned there is some big hills up in pa and west virginia . Some 13 grades or higher but they usually last like a mile or less. Nothing like the rocky mountains

Dale thompson and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  10. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    True. I can't imagine 10 miles of downhill. Black Mountain in NC would be about the only one on the east side to get your attention. Mounteagle is a joke.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Jakes don't work on snow and ice.

I can confirm twice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.