Question for the old hats

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by WrightTrucker33, Sep 22, 2021.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Old truck = lots of caregiving.
    It is not good for someone dreading their hands dirty with grease and smudged face, spending time underneath the chassis finding air leaks or rotten electric wires.
    As a matter of fact, any truck over 500 000 miles and 5 years, pre emission or not.

You had better have a designated fund for maintenance and be good at troubleshooting and wrenching.

With the current flexed HOS, ELDs are not the issue with productivity.
    I can do almost as much as those who are on paper - they are not going to make more money because they can cheat an hour or two of more driving in a day or 8 days. Paper logs should not be the reason as to why someone wants a pre emission truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get it on a dyno and measure the blowby, bet it is going to be high which means an overhaul in the near future.

I would offer 9k for the age of the truck.

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  4. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I would think if you did a hose party and got all new airlines, coolant hoses, and fittings replaced right off the bat you'd save yourself some headache.

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  5. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Not saying I'm right, but me, I like old iron (pre '95) for a lot of different reasons. One problem is finding one for a reasonable price that's not a worn out, rusted junk heap. The other problem is parts availability; although, parts availability seems to be a problem no matter what year the truck is. They're out there, just takes time, effort, and miles to find one...

Last Call and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  6. WrightTrucker33

WrightTrucker33 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Houston
    I appreciate the replies guys I’m still working my shift but definitely taking notes.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Engine is only 1 component of the whole unit. Frames have a lifespan, as do cab components, air lines, wiring, diff housings, suspension parts, springs etc.

Look at absolutely everything. You may have a reliable engine but the rest of the truck can sink you in a flash if its worn out. At over 20 years old if it hasn't had harnesses and air lines replaced you'd better be handy with a wrench.

8. WrightTrucker33

Sep 11, 2019
    Houston
    Thanks for the replies, I’m realizing that with trucking there is always going to be a give and a take. If I can get reliability I will be ok with coming out of pocket a bit more on fuel.

9. WrightTrucker33

Sep 11, 2019
    Houston
    That’s the plan! With yours and others responses I may not come out of the gate with an older truck but that will definitely be a goal in the future. For the present I may have to go with something a bit newer and just correct it.

10. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You can fix lots of things for the price of one payment. Comp insurance is less and any truck with a electronic engine can run eld with very little cost to hook up.
    Now through in the cost of a one box and six weeks waiting for one and the older truck begins to look real good.
    I prefer a 60 series for reliability and fuel mileage.

11. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Best engine ever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.