Question for the old timers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Flat Earth Trucker, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    My head is spinning after reading the last paragraph.

D.Tibbitt and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Bean your dad was a good driver.

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I put up with a brownie that would sometimes do that for a year or longer, finally took it apart and fixed it, seemed like it was pennies to do too. lol
    Iirc it was a problem with one of the detent ball springs.

5. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    What does rounding the corners refer to vehicle manuevering or damaging gears?

Feedman and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Neither. It refers to the H shift pattern of the auxiliary transmission (brownie). Most brownies have the pattern where 1st is to the left and forward, 2nd to the left and back 3rd to the right and back, and fourth to the right and against the dash. When you shift from second to third it is easy to put some pressure to the right as you take it out of gear, rather than moving the shifter straight forward to neutral, and then to the right. This is when you can stick the shifter inside the transmission, and get stuck in one gear.

D.Tibbitt, Feedman, Tall Mike and 4 others Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Now for the real technical stuff...When to use the jake to shift and with which box and when? All three stages regardless of terrain or cut it back a notch on a steep pull where you're trying not to be gearbound ?
    As in...when you leave the landing and it's an immediate seven or eight percent, soft ground, and five miles to the top. If you try to grab one in the brownie and miss, you come to a complete stop real fast. That kind of ground.
    You can hear some darn good arguments on this one at the shop sometimes.

D.Tibbitt, Feedman, Tall Mike and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    But wouldn't disengaging the clutch and moving the shifter into neutral fix this mistake?

The way I see it, I will ALWAYS make mistakes shifting, and so my strength has been overcoming my mistakes with quick saves.

That's my shifting theory, and I am sticking to it.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Ever run two sticks? They won't allow you to make and get away with very many mistakes. It's kind of a different deal.

Feedman, Tall Mike, starmac and 4 others Thank this.
  10. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    What kind of demented transmission requires the use of a Jake brake for its operation? :confused3:

11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Ha, yeah when I hear fellas say they never use the clutch all I can think is that they probably don't spend much time off road in the hills. And , you want to have your foot on the clutch, but not depressed until the split second you go into the next gear so that the Jakes bring down the speed of the tranny(s).

So many little things that you just had to learn on your own, usually by having to stop and start all over in a low gear in which you were likely stuck in until the top of the grade.

alds, Feedman, Tall Mike and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.