Question in regards to the Peterbilt 389

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by grizzlyfreight, May 20, 2018.

1. grizzlyfreight

grizzlyfreight Light Load Member

May 12, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello everyone. The Peterbilt 389 truck is becoming to really grow on me. I have noticed though that they really hold their value. Even used ones go for 50-60k I have noticed!

When do you think its correct to purchase a new truck compared to buying a used one? I was thinking off about purchasing a 2010-2013 with 400-500k miles, is that the correct route to go since new ones are almost close to 140-160k?

How did you go about it, I like to hear from your experiences!

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aces-N-Eights

Aces-N-Eights Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    The classic long hood Pete/KW's do hold more value longer than the plastic crapomatic fleet trucks. However, there are still glaring differences within a single model. It's all about the engine. Some years were more reliable. Some year models it TOOK years to correct known problems. Get previous service records of possible. Have an INDEPENDENT survey of truck completed. And NEVER, and I mean NEVER, fall in love with a truck based on looks alone. Chrome dont get you home. Drop a line on the mechanics / garage forum & Peterbilt forum and see what some of the guys over there say about which years / engines / configs were more reliable. Happy hunting and post pics of your new ride when u get it!!

Grubby and grizzlyfreight Thank this.
  4. Aces-N-Eights

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    I went older to avoid DPF/DEF systems. Love my 02 W9.

grizzlyfreight Thanks this.
  5. grizzlyfreight

May 12, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you so much Aces-N-Eights I will definitely do that! Did you buy it from a dealer or private party your 02?

6. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Correct time to purchase a new truck is when you can comfortably afford one.

grizzlyfreight and stwik Thank this.
  7. grizzlyfreight

May 12, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like that answer BoostedTeg, I think I am going to go the used route for now until I feel really comfortable on doing so!

blade and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  8. Aces-N-Eights

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    I bought mine from a dealer - and it was misrepresented. I got caught with my pants down because I didn't follow the advice I gave you. Hopefully you can learn from my mistake on that one and get that INDEPENDENT inspection.

Anyway, I went pre-07 to stay away from DEF/DPF systems - most people it seems have nightmare stories about downtime and repair costs. After much research, I made the decision on a CAT engine (6NZ). Pretty much indestructable. Looked for one that had been overhauled (make sure you get documentation from shop).

Amazing how much the price has gone up on these trucks!! There is a dealer in Hazelwood, MO that deals in long hood KW's and Pete's - all rebuilt, painted and polished, road-ready. Will get info off my laptop and forward to you if it helps in your search.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Be very very careful with used emission trucks...
    The last thing you want when starting up is a monthly payment + never ending expensive repairs + down time. You'd be farther ahead with either a fixed larger payment OR a less expensive truck (preferably pay cash) that only needs repair as it is operated. Rebuild it one piece at a time.

How would you feel if you buy a 60k pete and in 3 years you've spent another 90 grand for a total of 150 because it needed a ton of repair? Now you have a truck with probably 800,000 miles which would be worth?? 45k? It really boils down to how do you want to spend your money. I would highly suspect used emission trucks for these reasons. And who are the buyers of hoods? Not usually carriers who buy and sell and turn them every 400k or so miles. And why they get rid of it? Chances are decent they weren't making money with it. Careful! And good luck whatever you decide.

10. grizzlyfreight

May 12, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you so much Aces I really appreciate that! This is very very helpful!

I wouldn't like that at all gokiddogo! Thank you so much for the advice, I truly appreciate that!

Aces-N-Eights Thanks this.
  11. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    You will get 1000 different answers here and none of them are wrong as each situation is different.....every person is different with different wants and needs, different level of tolerance, difference level of mechanical skills, etc.
    Used trucks in the 300-500k typically are reaching the point of major maintence. If the truck is well maintained this might not be as big of an issue as one that is not well maintained. Some O/O really take great care of their equipment and some not so much. The same can be said for the larger fleets.

My point is you really have to look at the truck before you decide. And remember, buying a used truck is always a gamble.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.