Question of Chains vs. Straps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Injun, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

good idea....we used to pull skateboard....they dont have enough training nowadays for it....u see lots of drivers with straps blowing in the breeze....CB ALWAYS had ppl saying, you dont need that many straps or chains....no one else does it like that...and he would always tell em....if i got them, i am gonna use them.....hopefully some good advice will come across on here that will help someone....good idea Injun!!!!

foresaken and Injun Thank this.
  4. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    steel is hard to secure, loads like that 'I' beam I always choked the front and back by wrapping a chain around the load

Attached Files:

5. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    as for straps vs chains, really depends on the type of steel and how it is loaded

SHC and Injun Thank this.
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    General rule I was always told was steel required steel. In other words, steel required chains except in the case of "eye to the sky" coils. In the case of rebar or steel bar (or similar), I would also use "choke" straps.

In the case of the tragic accident that originated this thread, I'm not sure that chains would've made any difference. I don't think anything would've made a difference once the truck went over the embankment. Momentum would've most likely snapped any chains once the truck stopped, but the load kept moving.

7. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    No matter if he had chains or not your not gonna stop a load like that from coming forward in a sudden stop like that driver went thru. He did in fact have straps on that load when it should have been at least a mix of straps and chains. Way to many edges on a load like that and alot of odd ball shape steel.
    When it comes right down to it you can chain and strap all you want but the sudden stop will either brake the load loose or brake the fifth wheel off. Seen more than a few loads come thru the front of dry vans. Take the plywood out and the only thing left are upright posts and the outside skin of the trailer. Vans are kinda outta sight outta mind were flats you watch the loads.
    In the pics below chains were used. Question is was there enough chains on the load.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Injun and foresaken Thank this.
  8. Giggles the Original

i dont see any chains or a headache rack...course its hard to tell....we never had a load move on us..EVER...and we hauled a variety of things...

9. 07-379Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Look close in the first pic, you'll see the base of the headache rack on the frame of the truck. The rest of it is in the truck.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  10. Giggles the Original

very observant kemosabe.(sp?)...lol

07-379Pete Thanks this.
  11. 07-379Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    [​IMG]Base of the headache rack is in the black circle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.