Question of Chains vs. Straps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Injun, Dec 23, 2011.

1. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    True but he wasnt reading how to chain the coil down right for the coil he was loading.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crusty

Crusty <b>Just Plain Crusty</b>

May 29, 2010
    Canton, GA
    The particular load that spawned this thread is tough at best. I have hauled those nightmares. Experience comes in here. You must have an allot of blocking to chain it down properly. If its steel; it gets CHAINED! I jut shook my head when a post read; 'they weren't ALLOWED to chain suicide coils'. Fine. Pull off their yard, get out of site; THEN chain it down. Drivers'; don't let these idiot shippers kill you or others. Pipe has always been a dangerous load. Treat it so. Common sence people. Common sence.

Les2, foresaken and skellr Thank this.
  4. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I thought everyone knew to use chains on shotgun/suicide coils.

OK to X chains on shotgun not suicide. Shotgun need at least one strap or chain across top. Don't use a chain unless you want to pay for dented sheet metal!

I'l never forget the Horton driver who said his company trained them to chain to the frame rails! He kept cranking on his binders and spreading the trailer beams! I couldn't talk sense to the guy. I tried to help him.

5. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I would say at least 30% of the guys I see on a daily basis don't know how to chain them. I've seen few company drivers chain to the frame rails. Wonder why when they put the list of all the WLL's of all the securement points the bottom flanges of the rails aren't listed? :biggrin_25526::biggrin_2559:

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009

it was wire, and i don't know if it would be called coil or just a roll.
    they didn't come on a roll. it was just the wire rolled up in a roll.

we haul them out of the nucor plant in kingman, az.

the only other coil we've hauled would be that copper stuff wrapped around a wooden roll and sits on a pallet. takes 3 straps in a X pattern. and has to be tarped. comes out of freeport mcmorann plants also in az.

7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40

Coiled rod/wire always called em slinkys. Always fun......

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    took me 6 hours to figure out how to do my first load. had 4 truckers said i was doing it right. but couldnt' figure out why i couldn't keep the #### things from rolling forward.

LOL.

actually broke 2 straps by the time i got it squared away.

9. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I can tell by your figures and your post you don't know your cost or the business side of trucking. You better figure in your dead head miles because it cost you to deadhead to pick up that next load, $1.25 a mile profit not even close. I have seen a lot of scrap truckers with oil all over their floor and was turned away from the shipper, glad you can use a broom. You are correct their probably is a lot of drivers hauling it and not whining, I see clueless drivers everyday load cheap freight.

You figure in your deadhead from Colorado Springs to Rifle to load that cheap rock you are not doing as well as what you think you are.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i may not have posted the math in the manner that you would like me to post. but my bank account seems to be VERY happy. and that's all i care about.

11. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am currently hauling a load that will make Les2 happy as I used chains and binders to secure my load. Its 2 wire coils (big wire for electricity). I even thought WWLD (What Would Les Do) when I was chaining it down. LOL

Injun Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.