Question on Lumber load Securement

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by thomasweil, Dec 30, 2019.

1. thomasweil

thomasweil Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    Hi all,
    hoping Someone can clarify.

If I have a load of lumber (4 stacks 10 foot length, butted together) in 4 tiers.The top tier is 5’11 high. Is it legal to move without strapping down a middle tier? I believe so but just want to be sure as I am getting contradictory information.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Not very high so a lot guys would probably just throw 3 belts on every 10 foot stack and go.

But legally you need belly belt over the 2nd tier. Put 2 belts on 2nd tier and 3 belts over the top. Good to go.

BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Every bundle gets secured. Do NOT leave anything not strapped.

BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    yes need a strap thru middle. i would throw 1 thru middle and 2 over top on each 10ft bundle

6. thomasweil

May 12, 2016
    I do strap down a middle tier but I had thought (legally) you would be okay because the top tier is under 6’.

Thanks for the replies.

7. thomasweil

May 12, 2016
    In this picture, 3 tiers, under 6’ no belly straps: 11BCDC48-E296-478E-A619-55982D2FCC4A.png

booley Thanks this.
  8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    If only 2 tiers and top tier not over 6' then no belly belt needed.

He has 4 tiers so he needs belly belts

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Does anyone have a legal reference for any of this? State requirements can be different from federal so that needs to be considered also.

10. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

as published by FMCSA

Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 4: Dressed Lumber and Similar B | FMCSA

Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 4: Dressed Lumber and Similar B

Positioning and Securing Bundles (Section 3.2.2)

(previous section not included)

Requirements for securing bundles in two or more tiers

There are four options for securing bundles of dressed lumber that are transported in two or more tiers. Choose one of the four.

• Option #1:
      • To block side-to-side movement, block the bundles with stakes on the sides of the vehicle. Secure the bundles by tiedowns laid out over the top tier, as outlined in Section 2.
    [​IMG]

• Option #2:
      • To block side-to-side movement, use blocking or high friction devices between the tiers. Secure the bundles by tiedowns laid out over the top tier, as outlined in Section 2.
    [​IMG]

High Friction Devices

• Friction mat
    • Piece of wood with friction surface
    • Cleated mat
    • Other specialized equipment
    [​IMG]

• Option #3:
      • Place bundles directly on top of other bundles or on spacers.
      • Secure the stack of bundles with tiedowns:
        • Tiedowns over the second tier of bundles or at 1.85 m (6 ft) above the trailer deck (whichever is greater).
        • Tiedowns for other multiple tiers not over 1.85 m (6 ft) above the trailer.
        • Tiedowns over the top tier of bundles with a minimum of 2 tiedowns over each top bundle longer than 1.52 m (5 ft).
    [​IMG]

Spacer Requirements

• The length of spacers must provide support to all pieces in the bottom row of the bundle.
    • The width of each spacer must be equal or greater than the height.
    • Spacers must provide good interlayer friction.
    • If spacers are comprised of layers of material, the layers must be unitized or fastened together to ensure that the spacer performs as a single piece of material.
    • Option #4:
      • Secure the bundles by tiedowns over each tier of bundles in accordance with the general cargo securement requirements (Section 2).
      • Use at least 2 tiedowns over each bundle on the top tier that is longer than 1.52 m (5 ft).

booley, beastr123 and baha Thank this.
  11. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    BELLY it!!!!!!
    That was exactly my first load shift.
    Top 3 tiers on front 3 stacks all slid over 8-9".... going 20mph thru Orangeburg SC... about 40 miles away from loading location.
    That stuff is slipperyer than baby snot to begin with, don't question it, throw as many straps thru and over as you have so you don't have to think about it on the road.
    That's my .02$

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.