Question regarding CDL Air Brake test

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Anthony88, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Anthony88

Anthony88 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Hi everyone, I am currently going for my Class B CDL road test in a few days. I have a question regarding the air brake test. For the parking brake test, I need to put the vehicle in drive with the parking brake on to test that the parking brake is working properly. However, the Freightliner 114SD (Automatic Allison transmission) truck that I am using for the test requires for the service brake pedal to be depressed in order for the truck to shift into drive and allow me to tug against the parking brake. If I try to put it into drive without depressing the brake pedal it will say “D-N” and it’s not actually in gear. If I release the brake, and put it into Drive and then reapply the parking brake it also says “D-N.” My question is if I press the pedal to put It into drive while the spring brake is applied, will I fail? Or do all automatic trucks require for you to apply the service brake pedal for the truck to go into gear? Not sure if this is common sense so I apologize ahead of time. Thanks for your help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Every AMT (automated manual transmission) that I've driven has required service brake before it'll go into D or R.

Anthony88 Thanks this.
  4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Before you begin the test, ask the examiner if there is a specific way to do the task with the auto trans. Pretty much the same way you asked us.....there could be a change in the protocol with the autotrans.

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I don’t think it would matter if you have to push the brake pedal to get it in gear. The important part is that you do the tug test. But to be safe, just ask the examiner.

(contrary to popular belief, the cdl test examiners are not nazis, they are human like you and me and you can ask them questions lol)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.