Question regarding COVID-19 exemption letters

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Almalexiah, May 16, 2021.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    You can use Personal Conveyance while conducting company business?

That's news to me. If you got a link I'd sure like to take a gander at it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I didn't say company business. I said loaded. The simple fact one is loaded has no bearing on PC. One can be loaded and, for example, go to a restaurant from your hotel. Or any other number of valid uses.

Personal Conveyance | FMCSA

Question 26: Under what circumstances may a driver operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as a personal conveyance? Guidance: A driver may record time operating a CMV for personal conveyance (i.e., for personal use or reasons) as off-duty only when the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work by the motor carrier. The CMV may be used for personal conveyance even if it is laden, since the load is not being transported for the commercial benefit of the carrier at that time.

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I did not realize that one could legally transport a load on public roadways under PC. I've always been told that all miles driven while hauling a load under dispatch must be logged on line 3.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Edit: In light of this new information, I retract my initial post in this thread.

JohnBoy and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  5. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I think the biggest issue with the confusion is every carrier seems to have a different interpretation of it and claim it’s the law and unless someone researches it they’ll believe it unfortunately...

RockinChair and ZVar Thank this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    FMCSA FAQ section on the exemption.

Is the driver required to use a paper logbook or ELD?

No, the emergency exemption includes relief from all the hours-of service regulations in 49 CFR part 395, including the recordkeeping requirements (i.e., records of duty status (RODS)).

If there is an ELD in the truck, what should a driver do to account for the miles driven?

There are three options

1. Use the “authorized personal use” (personal conveyance) function of the ELD to record all of the time providing direct assistance under the exemption. Use of this function will result in the time being recorded as off duty and requires an annotation.
    2. Use the ELD in its normal mode and annotate the ELD record to indicate they were driving under the emergency relief exemption; or
    3. Turn off the ELD, in which case the carrier would address the unassigned miles in accordance with the current regulation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.